How Long Before You Get Bored of One Coffee?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
coffee.me

#1: Post by coffee.me »

With one bean/blend for espresso, regardless of how good (but not how bad!):
First 1-2 days, I'm exploring, sniffing, looking, experimenting.
Next 2-3, enjoying, sharing, maybe experimenting a bit more.
Next 2-3, maybe still enjoying, saying goodbyes, ready for a change.
More than two weeks and I can't take it any more! Constant change is a major part of enjoyment for me. I change on weekly basis between 10-15 (when I blend, the numbers get higher) coffees.

One week of Yemen, with all its Arabian fruits and desserts, next week, lower punches from a Sumatra, next something American, buttery and chocolaty. Nice stuff, what's better is I won't see these guys for two more months! Love it! Actually, can't stand seeing them much sooner on a regular basis!

Is this closer to the rule or exception? What about you? Do people actually stick to a couple blends for months at a time?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I roast several coffees at the same time, and usually drink each coffee just once a day. If I really love a coffee, it'll be part of every roast session and a once day fixture for the next year. But mostly, I'll look through my stash, and put together a menu of coffees I haven't tried for a while. Eventually, for each coffee, the sad day comes when the roast tastes faded and woody, and the remaining greens get dumped.
Jim Schulman

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

I order the majority of my espresso, using my homeroasts when i want something specific, or to fill in the time in between orders.

Ill stick with a roaster for only 2, maybe 3 orders, then go elsewhere. Ill order 3lbs at a time, all different each order. Currently, Ive got BC Classic, BC Organic, and BC SO Honduran La Tina*. Once these are done, Ive got a single origin Yemen Ismali, Brazil Ipanema, and some Longberry Harrar. Probably about 1/3lb of each, while Im waiting for my next order, which will almost certainly be from Ecco, for some of that Yellow Bourbon which sounds so great.

I dont like to stay with one, or even a couple blends for more then 3 orders. If its something i like, I can do two pounds of it, but then im getting bored and moving on. I could not imagine sticking with only one blend, all the time, never changing. My good friend does this.. he's been buying the same bean for a while now.. IDK how he does it.

*And, by the way, the Honduran La Tina is easily the best espresso Ive had all summer. I was bummed, because when I went to order from intelly, I planned to get 2lbs of the Maravilla, and a Pound of BC Organic.. but they were out of the Maravilla. But, Im not bummed anymore, im literally flying through the pound of the La Tina.. I find it almost gets completely lost, even in a 5oz capp, but straight shots and Machi's are phenomenal. If you haven't tried this bean yet, I highly suggest you do. Its a light bodied, floral, sweet espresso, so if that is what you like, this bean will put a big smile on your face!

michaelbenis

#4: Post by michaelbenis »

Wow! That depends on so much for me I'd be mad to say. But I don't normally buy more than 250g of a bean at a time (roasted for me) and get through around 10 packs a month, some of which are doubles. That means I'm changing every 3 or so days. There are beans I could drink all the time, but I do like changing. And there are some beans, like Yirg or some of the Ethiopian wild berries, that I couldn't drink for a whole series of a day without overdosing in some way, but which I couldn't not have at least once a month...

I've also been very impressed with the Honduran SHB from my favourite roaster, Londinium. I'll be getting some more of that.
LMWDP No. 237

Frost

#5: Post by Frost »

If coffee gets boring, either I got the wrong beans or I messed up the roast. I don't drink enough for that to happen, and I'm still learning to roast and make espresso so I need some time to get dialed in and familiar with a batch to see what I can do. I've been running 6-7 days with one bean/roast batch or blend as this is about the optimum time I can use it before fading. I try to use them from 6-12 days post roast. Next week it will be something different. Each roast session is 3-4 batches so I roast different beans to blend or try different roast profiles, etc. This weeks blend 2/3 Idido, 1/3 Bonko Black Sun DP. Bored? I will run out of these greens before that happens. :cry: Will there be any Ethiopia like this coming in later this year?

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

I think all the Ethiopian kleptocrats are back on the same page now; at least, some lots have been getting out. I'm sure the villagers are getting the full advantage of these African style reforms and transparencies -- a new well every five years or so. This is the best coffee on earth right now; it's heart breaking.
Jim Schulman

JmanEspresso

#7: Post by JmanEspresso »

Ive been trying to buy as much ethiopian coffee as I can. Ive currently got 2lbs of IMV, about 3lbs Longberry Harrar , 1/4lb of DP Birbissa Organic, and on the way, Ive got two pounds each of the Wet process Bonko, and the Guji Sidamo. By a huge longshot, Ethiopian beans are my favorite, both for brewing and espresso. I missed out on the Worka that Klatch was offering, and I was upset to say the least. The Aricha Nine, was however, a very good coffee. There really is so much outstanding coffee out there, and I try to enjoy as much as I can, but Ethiopian beans have been rockin my cup for a while now.

Anyone get any of the Korito-Koran SweetMarias had a couple months ago? I loved that bean.. it was like drinking cup after cup of top quality punch, made with the freshest juiciest fruit.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

I keep a variety of home roast S/O & commercial blends in the freezer packaged in small enough lots that I seldom pull shots from the same stuff more then 2 days in a row. The vac pot brew changes daily unless I decide to follow something I really like through the aging process.

My Ethiopian stash is down to 2.5lbs of the WP Kebado & 5.5lbs of the IMV.
LMWDP 267

Marshall

#9: Post by Marshall »

I would lose serious interest in coffee, if I drank the same blend all the time. Here in L.A. we're fortunate to have several top-tier roasters, so I can rotate among many blends and S.O.'s. I consume a pound in a week and never drink the same coffee two weeks in a row.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Fullsack

#10: Post by Fullsack »

My morning coffee is usually something deep, chocolaty, earthy, a double. In the afternoon, it's a single shot of a fruity blend. That's enough variation for me.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams