How do you Barista?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Gus

#1: Post by Gus »

This is an understanding the community post and not a discussion about what usage is better or worse. What are you aiming for when you pull the trigger on your espresso shooter?

Just making coffee?

Café efficiency / Time trials?

Shooting for a WBC performance?

Trying to learn as fast as I can?

Scientific Calculations worthy of NASA?

Practicing latte art?

Quest for the God shot?

Dreaming about an upgrade?

Evaluating a home roast?

For me it has nearly run the gamut over time. Obviously I started out just trying to learn as fast as I could. Once I started to get acceptable results I quickly moved into practicing latte art. I probably consumed more cappuccino in a day than is healthy. After I got the art down, I spent a weekend playing scientific measurement and quickly realized that was not for me. I have spent the last several months doing time trials trying to get as efficient as possible. All along the way there have certainly been times where I was dreaming about an upgrade, but that is subsiding. It hopefully goes without saying that the quality of the espresso should always be the primary concern, this is about the other things that are on your mind.

How do you barista?
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

Advertisement
Arpi

#2: Post by Arpi »

Good question. For me is to find the best flavor conditions. I change the variables of dose and temperature, in that order, till I find the best. A while back I was shocked when I found out I could make good espresso with chucho blends (cheap blends). That is when I get the biggest kick :) I sit down and enjoy the cup to the fullest :) If I don't go back for more that means it is not good enough :) So, the old saying that bad beans in, but coffee out, is not really true, not always.

I guess I get the biggest kick by making the biggest leap, if that makes any sense.

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

Gus wrote:This is an understanding the community post and not a discussion about what usage is better or worse. What are you aiming for when you pull the trigger on your espresso shooter?
Huh?
Marshall
Los Angeles

Gus (original poster)

#4: Post by Gus (original poster) »

I was trying to get to know my neighbors. Maybe that was too catchy a phrase. I was attempting to ask the community at large what their usage pattern was without trying to make it a discussion of my technique / motivation / result is better than yours.

I was not hoping for a step by step of how we each go about making our espresso, but rather what are you focusing on these days. Obviously we are all trying to make great espresso but what are you focusing on?

For instance I understand from your posts that at one time you were into controlled experiment to the end result of better separation and clarity. A home product that you felt was equal to what you are served in the finest cafe. But these days you are more into keeping it simple. This is my assumption from what I have read in some of your posts, but I would really like to hear it in your own words instead of going by my interpretation of what I have read.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

For me, it's fairly simple:

I enjoy the espresso; but part of my mind is analyzing and critiquing, trying to think of ways it could be improved. When that part goes silent, I know it's a hit.
Jim Schulman

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

Gus wrote:I was trying to get to know my neighbors. Maybe that was too catchy a phrase. I was attempting to ask the community at large what their usage pattern was without trying to make it a discussion of my technique / motivation / result is better than yours.

I was not hoping for a step by step of how we each go about making our espresso, but rather what are you focusing on these days. Obviously we are all trying to make great espresso but what are you focusing on?

For instance I understand from your posts that at one time you were into controlled experiment to the end result of better separation and clarity. A home product that you felt was equal to what you are served in the finest cafe. But these days you are more into keeping it simple. This is my assumption from what I have read in some of your posts, but I would really like to hear it in your own words instead of going by my interpretation of what I have read.
That's a fair summary. Thanks for explaining.

To expand a bit, "keeping it simple" was made possible by a period of experimentation that wasn't simple at all. I definitely upped the "clarity" performance of my Mini by:

1. Using the shorter dispersion disk.
2. Grinding very finely, often at or below the zero point on my Max
3. Somewhat updosing.
4. Not leveling or redistributing at all.
5. Straight down tamp.
6. (And this is critical) tightening the portafilter HARD with one hand holding the machine in place. Failure to do this after following steps 1-5 will result in the portafilter unwinding and decorating the machine with high pressure coffee.

I also vary the temperature (and sometimes dose) by blend and sometimes just for variety.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Arpi

#7: Post by Arpi »

Marshall wrote: 2. Grinding very finely, often at or below the zero point on my Max
3. Somewhat updosing.
Hi.

Sorry for the question, where would be the zero point in the Max, in the middle? In my grinder, on a marked scale from 0 to 60, I've never been able to go bellow 8 and not choke the machine. I usually use the 20s and 30s.

TX

Advertisement
Marshall

#8: Post by Marshall replying to Arpi »

There is no useful answer that I can give. We are using entirely different grinders.
Marshall
Los Angeles