Looking for Stainless Steel Tampers w/o Handles

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Quadshot

#1: Post by Quadshot »

Hello,

I'm having no luck trying to find stainless steel tampers (in various sizes) that do not have any handles. I only want the polished metal disk as I'm a professional woodturner and I prefer to turn my own handles. Does anyone know of a supplier that offers a kit w/o a handle, or some company that can custom make them so I can add my own turned handles from various woods and alternative materials? Thanks in advance and all the best to you and yours!
Steve Russell
The Woodlands, Texas

ddr

#2: Post by ddr »

I would contact this guy on EBay, he can make whatever size you like and is very reasonable with prices: http://stores.ebay.com/Precision-Tamper-Maker
Dan
LMWDP #242

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

I assume you mean the piston? Espressoparts will happily sell you them a la carte, for their tampers or Reg Barber's. The threading of EPNW's pistons are probably preferable since (a) there is a larger market for them if you decide later to sell tamper handles, and (b) the bottom is flat, which are easier to mate with a DIY handle, unlike Reg's beveled pistons.
Dan Kehn

zin1953

#4: Post by zin1953 »

Look HERE . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Quadshot (original poster)

#5: Post by Quadshot (original poster) replying to zin1953 »

Hello,

Thanks for the link, however the product shown is made from aluminum and I need stainless steel. Thanks for your assistance.
Steve Russell
The Woodlands, Texas

#6: Post by Quadshot (original poster) »

ddr wrote:I would contact this guy on EBay, he can make whatever size you like and is very reasonable with prices: http://stores.ebay.com/Precision-Tamper-Maker
Hello ddr,

Thanks for the info and the link. It looks like this bloke can do custom work, so this might be a good source. Thanks and take care!
Steve Russell
The Woodlands, Texas

#7: Post by Quadshot (original poster) »

HB wrote:I assume you mean the piston? Espressoparts will happily sell you them a la carte, for their tampers or Reg Barber's.
Hello Dan,

Thanks! These look very good... :D Take care and all the best to you and yours!
Steve Russell
The Woodlands, Texas

JonR10

#8: Post by JonR10 »

Quadshot wrote:I'm having no luck trying to find stainless steel tampers (in various sizes) that do not have any handles.

Hi Steve,
If you're in the Woodlands you are a stone's throw from a slew of excellent machine shops, any number of which could turn tamper bases. We also have a couple of excellent electropolishing outfits here (all of the above in Houston). This means that you can have your own unique custom tamper bases made, probably for a fraction of the cost to buy commercial offerings (depending on quantity).

I know some folks who also know some folks, so if you contact me offline I could probably hook you up. The best case scenario would be to find a machinist who was interested enough to work together with you to make the base of your dreams....
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Lockman

#9: Post by Lockman »

ddr wrote:I would contact this guy on EBay, he can make whatever size you like and is very reasonable with prices: http://stores.ebay.com/Precision-Tamper-Maker
I have 2 of the tampers from that guy and I am not all that impressed with how they handle. They are about half as thick as the one I have from coffee-labs and I will have to loctite the stud if I don't want them to loosen (it is short, very short). It is also smaller than I would like. I haven't miked it yet but it leaves coffee all around the edge on the 58 mm I use and I have to tap and re-tamp. Also I tried to get him to sell me an extra bottom and it was almost the same price as the whole tamp so I just ordered another instead. He also is hard to communicate with and I also don't like the bevel as much ether. To his credit they are much nicer than the cheapo lava knock off I got ripped off on. Hollow pre-dented based earned that guy some negative feedback! :evil:

IMHO, If you are going to make custom wood tamps, go the extra distance and get some really nice bases.
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

You can get them directly from Reg Barber as well. Turned quite a few handles for folks, they just order the piston. FYI the Reg pistons use a hex cup set screw. I don't recall the diameter/pitch off the top of my head although I want to say 3/8-16. I can check my stash when I get home if you want. Other brands use other screws.
Dave Stephens