How long between calcite carbon filter replacement and any input on a Watts RO system

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
beatstanfurd

#1: Post by beatstanfurd »

I'm looking into installing a Watts RO filtration system and know that I'll need some kind of calcite carbon filter so that it won't leech the copper pipes. How often do the calcite carbon filters that Chris Coffee sells need to be replaced?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Watts RO filtration system (model WP-5)? Costco has them for what seems to me a good price. The filters last six months and the RO membrane lasts 2-5 years. I really don't have much to compare it to, so this may or may not be a good system.

Thanks in advance for any input.

DavidMLewis

#2: Post by DavidMLewis »

In typical use, people recommend that the calcite cartridge be replaced along with the carbon cartridges on the R/O unit, i.e. every six months. As I understand it, this is to avoid bacterial problems rather than because the calcite is exhausted, and is probably conservative. But Chris will tell you.

Best,
David

Rod Carmer

#3: Post by Rod Carmer »

Watts WP-5 uses standard 2.5" x 10" cartridges and I have heard positive remarks. The other system Watts has done a good job of importing them from Korea. This one is sold both through Sam's Club and Costco.
Rod Carmer
Cirqua Customized Water