Unexpected ads - Page 3

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
HB
Admin

#21: Post by HB »

PS: Apparently Mark isn't the only one to notice. From yesterday's WSJ's blog post How Some Publishers Ask Readers to Stop Using Ad-Blockers: 'Pretty Please?':
Steven Perlberg wrote:But ad-blockers have become a major problem for publishers because most of the free content distributed online is supported by advertising revenue. One recent report suggested the issue will lead to $22 billion in lost revenue this year as one out of three Internet users now employee some software to block ads.

<snip>

...Wired in recent months has tested various versions of diplomacy, asking readers to "please do us a solid and disable your ad-blocker." The message appears on the Web page where an ad normally would.

<snip>

In a blog post last year, PageFair said it ran 576 different appeals on 220 websites, but found that only 0.33% of ad-blockers that saw an appeal added sites to their approved site list. And a third of those people eventually removed the exemption.
Dan Kehn

yakster
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by yakster »

Things become more complex with active banner ads and ads that link to malware infected sites.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
SonVolt

#23: Post by SonVolt »

I like this place and would hate to see it close up shop, but businesses have to cater to consumers, not the other way around. Imagine how pissed you'd all be if your cable provider disabled your DVR's fast-forward button...

canuckcoffeeguy

#24: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I think everyone should take a step back for a moment. I've never been bothered by the ads on HB. I mostly get sponsor, coffee related ads on my desktop. On my phone, the variety is greater. That's probably because I use an android phone, synced to my Gmail, which also has social media apps such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All of this, plus my Google searches, is used by Google to tailor advertising by clients who engage in paid search. Welcome to the interweb.

HB is a great community with lots of contributors from all walks of life. Members contribute to the community, and the community also gives back. It's symbiotic. It's not a straightforward consumer/vendor relationship.

Running such a website isn't free in terms of time, money and effort involved. It's probably another full time job for Dan.

If we have to deal with some ads here and there which don't dominate the site, I'm fine with that. Many of which are from sponsors we buy equipment and coffee from and trust. So these aren't just random ads.

As for the Google ads, if you're not interested in their content, just ignore. They're not reaching out from the screen and stabbing you in the eyes ;)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by JohnB. »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:As for the Google ads, if you're not interested in their content, just ignore. They're not reaching out from the screen and stabbing you in the eyes ;)

Actually they do just that; especially the ones that let me know that I'm being tracking every where I go on the Net! They are no different then the spam that ends up in my junkmail folder or the Telemarketers that don't get past my answering machine. I use Adblock every where I go & I keep the annoying ads turned off on H-B. I do make a point of visiting the site sponsors through H-B but if I had to look at those Google ads every time I came here I'd be gone.
LMWDP 267