Special Formatting?

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Hi Dan,

Maybe we could have a topic on special formatting.

Super and Subscript?

There must be a way to format subscript and superscript, but I haven't figured it out. I've tried to post subscripted text to indicate carbon dioxide but don't know if the Code button is designed for that. If I click on the Code button, it shows up oddly in finished text, like
here:

If I try to use it to start and stop the usual HTML formatting of <sub></sub> that formatting is shown too. For example:

this CO["code]<sub>2</sub>[/code"] does odd things when I don't put it in quotes: CO
<sub>2</sub>
Keyboard Shortcuts?

The Command-Control-Minus keyboard shortcut for subscript doesn't work by either highlighting the "2" in CO2 or toggling on and off before and after that character.

At least one keyboard shortcut works. A web search finds two versions for the degree symbol on a Mac, Option+Shift+8 creates a larger symbol: ° and Option+K a smaller one °.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I don't worry too much about special characters, but if you're interested, Ian noted shortcuts of common symbols in ° and ± for Dummies. While there are Unicode characters for common super and subscripts (1, 2, 3), I added BBcode markup for the HTML equivalent <sub> and <sup>. For example:

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a colorless, odorless gas vital to life on Earth.
The square notation is x2, e.g., 52 = 25.
Carbon dioxide (CO[sub]2[/sub]) is a colorless, odorless gas vital to life on Earth.
The square notation is x[sup]2[/sup], e.g., 5[sup]2[/sup] = 25.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks, Dan. Now folks who are undercaffeinated can indicate that in a new H-B shorthand.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I totally understand. :lol:
Dan Kehn