Finding back HB knowledge nuggets, or a way to add bookmarks to posts / threads

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
Louis

#1: Post by Louis »

The amount of knowledge available in the HB forums is phenomenal, but often hidden deep into long threads, like a needle in a haystack.

I've suggested some time ago the idea of a HB wiki to address this, to structure the information to gain knowledge, but it didn't garnered much interest / support.

Here is another attempt to address the issue.

As a forum user, it would be useful to me if I could bookmark specific posts or even threads in some cases, to flag to knowledge nuggets I find accross while reading the forums. One could tell me that my browser's bookmarks already achieve the same results but by having these bookmarks in the forum itself could also enable features such as limiting search results to the flagged posts / threads, or browsing the forums / threads / posts structure with a filter to only show flagged posts.

From a collective point of view, the individual bookmarks could be used as votes to collectively identify the usefulness / importance of individual posts and could be used to automatically generate a resource page with the most useful threads/posts. The hidden nuggets would magically emerge and become readilly available to everyone, including newbies. You could even ponder each "vote" according to certain criterias (number of posts, number of page reads, joining date), to separate newbies subjects of interests from more experienced / long time users'.

This could be as simple as a clickable flag in the header of each post when logged in.

If deemed useful, more granularity could be gained by using a 0-5 star system instead of a simple flag.

So... What do users think about this and what do you, Dan, think? (I don't know the forums underlying software capability)

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

You can manage bookmarks from the OPTIONS page here. The link for adding a bookmark is at the bottom of each page (it looks like Image). I'm still hoping to organize a wiki. In the meantime, feel free to nominate threads for inclusion in the FAQs and Favorites.
Dan Kehn