Even more improved support for mobile phones

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

Back in 2010, I implemented Improved support for smartphones and continued in 2012 with More improved support for smartphones. Next week, I plan to roll out full support for mobile phones by upgrading the site to phpBB's latest version V3.1, which includes a responsive web design template. To see the difference, first here's the current site on an iPhone 6:

By default, smartphones try to scale a web page to fit in the available space. This sometimes results in teenie-tiny pages. The above was my compromise implementation that attempted to boost the font size and reduce the number of page elements shown. It worked fairly well, especially in landscape mode. Here's the upcoming site on a mobile phone:

It has pop-up menus for accessing other parts of the site and another pop-up menu to navigate quickly from forum-to-forum. The threads are more phone friendly too. The profile information is moved and trimmed to take up less vertical space (see profile for "bill" below):

Posted images are automatically scaled to fit edge-to-edge if they don't fit at full size within the confines of the screen. Navigating within a forum is a lot easier with much larger touch areas and simplified pagination controls.

Dan Kehn

Advertisement
dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

Thanks, Dan! As someone who does most of his HB work on an iPhone, I will enjoy the changes.
Pete
LMWDP #484

SlowRain

#3: Post by SlowRain »

Looks good.

mdmvrockford

#4: Post by mdmvrockford »

Thank you Dan for this upgrade. Only way I can look at Home-barista at work (on breaks of course) is on my cell phone as work computer Barracuda filter bars it.
LMWDP #568

HB (original poster)
Admin

#5: Post by HB (original poster) »

You're welcome! I'll do the update tonight. The site will remain online during the update, but posting will be disabled. On a relate note, with help from Dave at EspressoParts, HB will finally have a proper icon on high-resolution notepads like the iPad:

Thanks Dave!

You can see the "old" one in William's post from More improved support for smartphones:
williamsavona wrote:Dan, I am wondering if you have any plans to upgrade the HB icon so that it doesn't look pixelated and fuzzy on the the newer iDevices with higher resolution screens.
Dan Kehn

beer&mathematics

#6: Post by beer&mathematics »

Dan, this will be awesome! Thanks for the hard work :)
LMWDP #431

HB (original poster)
Admin

#7: Post by HB (original poster) »

The update is complete. Please let me know if you find any unexpected behavior (e.g., layout problems, missing links, stuff that used to work no longer does, etc). Thanks!
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

I noticed that the "mark posts read" button has gone missing from the unread posts link. I'm using Google Chrome on a laptop.

I just tried H-B on my old iPhone 4, the new site is much improved for the mobile platform. Thanks, Dan!
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

HB (original poster)
Admin

#9: Post by HB (original poster) »

Thanks for the report, it's back!
Dan Kehn

Marshall

#10: Post by Marshall »

Dan,

Is this something you did or a problem with my browsers or computer? I'm going blind here.
Marshall
Los Angeles