Orphan Espresso LIDO cupping grinder - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MSH

#211: Post by MSH »

Sam21 wrote:.....I do have one question for other LIDO owners (as the information begins coming to the surface)... to find the zero point of the burrs (in case I were to lose track of rotations in a morning daze), I just rotate the t-cap/adjustment bolt clockwise until it tightens up. At this point, the t-cap is pointing NOT at the brass washer that signals the zero point, so I then adjust the t-cap/adjustment bolt counterclockwise until I am back at the brass washer. Essentially, I tighten the adjustment bolt until it stops mid-rotation and then back it off to the brass washer/zero point. Does this sound like the right way to re-find my factory zero point? Overall, the adjustment system is a piece of cake and very easy to gauge, as the bolts act like the face of a clock. Really nice!
Just curious how many turns you (& others) can continue to turn clockwise after the brass washer/zero point? I can actually turn mine 1/2+ turn before I meet resistance.

Sam21

#212: Post by Sam21 replying to MSH »

When my burrs were completely clean and brand new that sounds exactly the same as mine. With coffee, it is a tad less maybe being closer to a half rotation.

Advertisement
MSH

#213: Post by MSH »

Sam21 wrote:When my burrs were completely clean and brand new that sounds exactly the same as mine. With coffee, it is a tad less maybe being closer to a half rotation..
Thanks!
I noticed from earlier posts you have been playing with the Aeropress. I'm about to brew up a cup of some slightly old (12 day post roast) Verve Kenya Keratu. I'm totally out of any home roasted beans as I just got back from a week long biz trip. :cry:
Any recommendations on starting point? I noticed you went with 1.35-ish turns for your first go, but mentioned you may need to go a tad finer. My brew guidelines are close to yours...Inverted, 16-18g depending of coffee, water right off boil (here in Denver at 6k ft = 201), typically 1:15 steep and 30s press

Sam21

#214: Post by Sam21 replying to MSH »

I just responded to your post on the LIDO Owner Experience Thread, just to start getting the conversation moving on there (I assume that was the purpose of starting that thread, so I hope I'm not being annoying by posting a response there and not here).

Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso

orphanespresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#215: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

While waiting for the travel bags to arrive I built and rebuilt all the first 35 grinders over and over refining the alignment technique and trying to standardize the zero mark. What we can't control for is the grind in behavior which is going to possibly effect the zero point. The coffee will lubricate the burrs for one and the bearings on the axle are self lubricating. The bearings and axle have the smallest fit tolerance possible so burr turning will become easier.
I set up the burr to gnash very slightly at zero and free spin at 1/4 and to nearly bind up at minus 1/4. The burr can be hyper tightened to actually lock up metal to metal but we hope users will not try to kill it...we did destruction testing on the handle and adjustment bar since we were concerned about the aluminum parts but assumed a normal use age approach on the burr. As the machine grinds in it may turn out that changing the zero mark lower may be a standard procedure but with 35 machines in use for only a few days...time will tell.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#216: Post by jbviau »

Nice work on these, Doug. I love mine. Just 35 shipped out so far? I'll bet that number will be climbing steadily.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

scareyourpasenger

#217: Post by scareyourpasenger »

Just ordered mine yesterday. It is going to be hard to wait till next month to get my hands on it.

I would love to go to hand grinding for espresso too but I don't think I could put up with the rubber hammers and frustrations related to the Pharos.

Advertisement
CaptSolo

#218: Post by CaptSolo »

I received #011 on Tuesday. I love how it feels when grinding. I am doing the bicycle motion with the OE LIDO sitting between my legs on a kitchen towel. Very comfortable. Great craftsmanship Doug! So far I have been at 2 turns for French Press and have very little sludge in the bottom of the cup. No static in the jar, just a few stray fines on the lid. Thanks for bringing this to the market.

Draig

#219: Post by Draig »

I've taken the plunge and ordered my OE Lido just now. Really looking forward to getting it in April. Problem is now what do I use with it; V60, CCD, Aeropress?

drgary
Team HB

#220: Post by drgary »

Nice problem to have. Let us know which works best for you. I really like it with the AeroPress and don't have the other brewing devices for comparison.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!