Orphan Espresso LIDO cupping grinder - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#201: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Cool, nice touch OE!
LMWDP #371

jbviau
Supporter ★

#202: Post by jbviau »

#003 has arrived! Don't have time to play with it now as I'm on my way out the door, but one thing I *do* know already is that a Ball jar won't screw on as a replacement jar (just tried--different threads). This is a serious tool that feels great in the hand.

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Jake L

#203: Post by Jake L »

Got mine in today which was a day earlier than expected and all I can say is WOW! This is a serious piece of machinery here. Only really have time to drink a cup and no real time to dial it in but lets say I am impressed.

1) This baby is solid, nothing loose and nothing extra to get in the way
2) Adjusting the burrs is really simple and easy
3) My normal 20g dose hardly filled the chamber the first 1/4 the way up so a full press pot will be no problem
4) No burr travel. On my KYM at coarser grounds I can feel a wobble as it is eating the beans, but on the LIDO it is rock solid and no travel detect side to side or up and down which surprised me in a good way
5) Grind was slower than the KYM but that was expected. Overall it took less than a minute to fumble around and find my technique and grind the coffee. Slower than the KYM but not bad at all
6) Clean up was really easy
7) While I need to play with it to dial in the grind and such I will say that I noticed much fewer fines in my press pot grind than the KYM and noticeably less sludge at the bottom of the cup. I also imagine that as the burrs break in there will be even fewer fines.

Looks like this weekend coming up will be overloaded with caffeine :lol:

Overall impression: Impressed and excited to see what it can do when tested out

jbviau
Supporter ★

#204: Post by jbviau »

What this thread needs is more pics. To that end...

How 30 g. of beans (1000 Faces Kia Ora, Organic Kenya) looks in the hopper:

A little static cling afterward; fines and chaff easily knocked/brushed/blown into the sink or trash:

The press grind quality at 2 turns CCW from zero. Looks great to me, at least the equal of the Preciso's in terms of consistency by the old eyeball test. Took me about 1:25 to crank this dose out, by the way, and that will get quicker as I improve my technique.

It was too late for me to brew this up, so I can't judge taste yet, but one thing I don't want to forget to mention is the smell of the ground coffee. Just wonderful! Since I'm pretty new to manual grinding, this was a pleasant surprise.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#205: Post by samuellaw178 »

jbviau wrote:but one thing I don't want to forget to mention is the smell of the ground coffee. Just wonderful! Since I'm pretty new to manual grinding, this was a pleasant surprise.
Josh, now you do understand why I like my Pharos so much!! Maybe it's time to create the very own LIDO owner's thread? :lol:

Excellent pictures by the way, keep'em coming! More video wouldn't harm too. :P

jbviau
Supporter ★

#206: Post by jbviau »

samuellaw178 wrote:Josh, now you do understand why I like my Pharos so much?
Yes, I think so! I was able to play with a Pharos at the Baltimore HB get-together a few weekends ago, and I came away impressed. Spanking it over my [glass] Eva Solo to knock the ground coffee out was a little nerve-wracking though. The LIDO's catch jar is nice to have.

tekomino

#207: Post by tekomino »

samuellaw178 wrote:Josh, now you do understand why I like my Pharos so much!! Maybe it's time to create the very own LIDO owner's thread?
That definitely makes sense, I started Owner experience with LIDO manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso with my experience with #8 LIDO. See you there.

skittles_s

#208: Post by skittles_s »

jbviau wrote:Yes, I think so! I was able to play with a Pharos at the Baltimore HB get-together a few weekends ago, and I came away impressed. Spanking it over my [glass] Eva Solo to knock the ground coffee out was a little nerve-wracking though. The LIDO's catch jar is nice to have.
This is the only thing that has kept me from buying the Pharos. I would love for OE to come up with some sort of mod or accessory to make things a bit simpler. I guess you cannot let a five pound grinder rest atop a glass jar, though?

drgary
Team HB

#209: Post by drgary replying to skittles_s »

Someone earlier mentioned using a small steaming cup. I just spent two weeks away from home with the Pharos and an AeroPress. The steel cup caught the grinds just fine. I would steady the Pharos on that cup and rap the top with my knuckles and it seemed to clean grind retention well enough.

But I digress ...

LIDO #006 Reporting for Duty

Is #007 on its way to Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Here's what I found on our doorstep when arriving home last night. Oh yeah! The box is a bit extended because Barb shipped me some other supplies with it. Thanks Barb!

Leave it to the Orphans to do it right. LIDO arrives in a bag for coffee beans.

What's in the bag is the neoprene travel case that was well worth waiting for (the bag is black, the photo color is off),

plus a nice rubber pad to protect the shaft when removing the handle with pliers and a cleaning brush.

The instructions suggest using "test beans" while adjusting the grind. OTOH, Chang00 had just sent me some lovely home-roasted Brazil Fazenda Rainha, CoE winner in 2011. Life's too short for bad coffee. That was my first attempt. A classic, clean cup. I need to brew at a little higher temp, but dialing in a new coffee is part of what a cupping grinder is for, right?

This is going to be much easier to travel with than the Pharos, but I'm really happy with my Pharos, too, and it made some beautiful morning coffees with the AeroPress.

The LIDO has a different feel to the grind, not the heavyweight, overbuilt feel of the Pharos. It grinds much slower than the Pharos and I might like a little larger knob on the handle. I can feel the difference in the burr too, not crushing but nibbling the beans. I look forward to watching Doug's video and learning how to use this new best in class grinder from Doug and Barb. In fact, there's some Counter Culture Idido sitting on my counter, just coming to peak (it's been frozen). I'd been feeding that to the Pharos, so it'll be a good comparison.

Added: Tried the Idido. Although didn't compare to Pharos head to head today, from what I remember it's every bit as good.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#210: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Nice look at the Lido, thanks. That is quite the army of levers posted there in the kitchen! Can't wait to try my
Lido tomorrow when it finally makes it to Macau.
LMWDP #371