Orphan Espresso LIDO cupping grinder - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bob_McBob

#171: Post by Bob_McBob »

Looks like my LIDO was shipped today. Exciting times :)

I am really looking forward to replacing the Maestro at work. This will be especially handy since I've been going back and forth between two labs recently, and my grinder obviously stays in only one of them.
Chris

orphanespresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#172: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

Good that Den has cracked the jar industry secrets...it was a bit of a pleasant surprise to find out that SOMETHING is standardized, and jar sizes and neck threading is indeed standardized. We were originally insisting on plastic due to the breakability issue but the plastic jar resulted in a veritable s--tstorm of static and glass reduced the static by a good 99%. Also when we originally ordered a case of plastic jars (144), a full 40 arrived broken, dispelling our notion of the invincibility of plastic.

The glass actually gives the grinder a bit more balance...it makes the grinder a more butt heavy.

We also went through 4 different jar lids before we settled on one that is thin enough to cut the holes with a die on a press and made of a material which seems less fragile or prone to breaking on the edge. We also looked in to having the entire catch assembly made from stainless steel....whew, talk about a deal breaker ($$$$$$$)!!

You are going to figure this out yourselves eventually but it took me 3 months to accidentally discover the most comfortable way to hold and grind.....nah, that would skew the big beta test if I mentioned it :) .

Sam21

#173: Post by Sam21 »

Hi Doug,

Will you be making any grinding videos of the LIDO like you did for the Pharos? Even though I have a LIDO two days away from arriving, I thought it might be nice for others to see the grinder in action. Did those videos of the Pharos come after it was released?

Bob_McBob

#174: Post by Bob_McBob »

Sam21 wrote:Will you be making any grinding videos of the LIDO like you did for the Pharos? Even though I have a LIDO two days away from arriving, I thought it might be nice for others to see the grinder in action.
Seconded!
Chris

penrod

#175: Post by penrod »

orphanespresso wrote:You are going to figure this out yourselves eventually but it took me 3 months to accidentally discover the most comfortable way to hold and grind.....nah, that would skew the big beta test if I mentioned it :) .
If this is back to grinding sans clothes, regardless of grind quality that will be a hard one to convince my wife of :wink:

I can't wait to try the grinder, usps is telling me I have to wait until next Wednesday. Oh well.

orphanespresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#176: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSl816B ... e=youtu.be

I should never multitask...it unfocuses the mind :oops:

dcupstateNY

#177: Post by dcupstateNY »

Sweet! I actually believe I could smell that Red Bird brewing or, maybe it was the aroma from that freshly ground and plated LIDO ... yum! By the way, got my Pharos yesterday ... love it!
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

Sam21

#178: Post by Sam21 »

Thanks or the video! The Lido looks great in anction and I love the look of the beans piled up inside the hopper. I am very excited!

hankua
Supporter ♡

#179: Post by hankua »

Brilliant! OE drive adaptor

Should work on the Pharos as well?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#180: Post by yakster »

It's getting real up in here now, I don't know if I'll be able to wait my turn in the Traveling Roadshow to try out this grinder. I'm really looking forward to trying this out, especially at work.

Do you figure that a beefy electric screwdriver would handle the torque or is a drill driver the minimum if I were to try the adapter?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272