Orphan Espresso LIDO cupping grinder - Page 17

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jake L

#161: Post by Jake L »

Well I bit hook line and sinker, just placed the order today. Really looking forward to this as I have never been let down by OE. Will be nice to expand from espresso into the world of presses and pour overs.

Sam21

#162: Post by Sam21 replying to Jake L »

I was very jealous watching the Pharos rollout for espresso users, so I am excited for an OE grinder built for the coarse range. I love my manual pour overs and siphons! I'm going to struggle waiting...

drgary
Team HB

#163: Post by drgary »

orphanespresso wrote:I have to admit, this is making me pretty nervous....

Did we overlook something? Can there be some aspect we did not consider? Oh man, it's going to be a long few days.
Hey Doug,

If you like using it, I'm sure it's better than your average hand grinder by far. And it's not like you're selling to people who expect anything different than help you get out any kinks, because we know you'll follow up if need be. Sleep easy knowing you've done your very best and you're selling to a very receptive audience. I've got some of the last Counter Culture Idido to try with your LIDO, along with some other fine coffees left at the leverfest last month. Oh yeah! :D
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

orphanespresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#164: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

Uh oh, Drgary is back :) . And Sam21 welcome to HB in case nobody said it!

My doubts lessened after the Yerg ground with the LIDO and brewed with a Clever dripper for the after dinner cup. It is funny that since working on the LIDO project and brewing with different methods I have been forced to really try to normalize these brew methods so the only changing variable is the grind. Having been pulling shots by intuition and feel I have been away from the brewing on the numbers idea for so long that I had forgotten the benefits of weighing the beans, checking the water temp, pouring on a scale, using a timer(s)...getting it all right so I can get a sense of any flavor difference vs grind setting (good or bad). It is amazing what great cups of brewed coffee one can enjoy when you pay attention to all of the details, and how repeatable these processes can be as well.

Now that I am controlling all these variables (easier than with my espresso setup) I am coming to not only appreciate but look forward to drip and press, and with a week of using the Clever I am beginning to agree with the raves that this dripper garners.

MSH

#165: Post by MSH »

Just ordered my Lido after chatting with Barb at this late hour. Can't wait to try it out on my FP and Aeropress. Thanks again Barb! :)

NoBS

#166: Post by NoBS replying to MSH »

Interested in hearing your views (or from any other early adopters) on the LIDO in regards to the Aeropress compatibility.

Although I have not received the PHAROS yet, have a feeling the LIDO will work much better as a travel companion for the Aeropress and KALORIK adjustable temp kettle.

The PHAROS was going to be it part of this kit, but my MaCap M4 is limping along with FOD until replacement burr arrives.
Have a gut feeling the M4 will become the back up for the PHAROS.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#167: Post by jbviau »

orphanespresso wrote:...with a week of using the Clever I am beginning to agree with the raves that this dripper garners.
Just out of curiosity, what Clever recipe did you settle on?

Honestly, this grinder looks pretty much bulletproof. However, I'm sure somebody will break its glass catch jar before too long. Also, the (plastic?) catch jar lid seems to be important to the design, and I imagine it could chip/crack if the LIDO were dropped in just the right way (e.g. without the jar attached). Will replacement parts become available eventually?

Ok, I'm off to do some curls in preparation for Friday, when I imagine I'll be hand-grinding up a storm!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

opother

#168: Post by opother »

Correct me if I am wrong because I am not sure.

That threading sure looks like all I would have to do if my catch jar broke is find the right sized jelly jar or some sort of food container and screw it right on to the bottom.

I wonder if need be could a new jar holder be easily constructed out of the right sized jar lid.

These are just some unanswered questions don't quote me on this as a promise because I don't know, but I wouldn't doubt that parts will be available for this as well judging from how OE is handling the Pharos project.

opother

#169: Post by opother »

Oh yea I did a bit of searching and found the the 70-400 threading used on the OE Lido ground catch jar is a standard widely used industry size. There all sorts of jars in different colors, configurations, and materials all over the web for cheap that have this size threading as well as the lids.

Lids would require a bit a skill (precision drilling, realigning burrs, and who knows what else) to fit to the Lido if you wanted to construct a new catch jar holder. I don't see as a near impossible unworthwhile task that a weird proprietary part would be to construct.

My breif internet education that I just obtained a few minutes ago tell me the 70 is the measurement of the inner diameter of the lid in millimeters (70 millimeters = 2.75590551 inches for those of us unfamiliar with metric) and the 400 is the threading.

So I think I can safely say catch jars are available all over the place for real cheap or even pricey depending on what tickles your fancy.

This is great !

I am already dreaming up some weird shapes and colors to try.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#170: Post by jbviau »

Nice. A replacement jar and lid could come in handy for carrying around beans, too.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias