Orphan Espresso LIDO cupping grinder - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
time8theuniverse

#131: Post by time8theuniverse »

Getting excited about the little guy and his arrival.
I'm still trying to get my head around the graphs and how they relate to coffee. I think i can see the trends but can't see how they will play out.

Where is the number 16 coming from? I don't imagine Doug and Barb sending anything unless they were happy with things.

I've been think of personalized jar options, the top 3; a crystal skull, coconut, and spent artillery shell.
Infinitely capable of being completely wrong.

orphanespresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#132: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

Oh yes, we are happy with everything but the delay on those padded bags but not much longer now...

During this hiatus we have basically worked out the final assembly (for us) and find that it will be manageable for us to hand build them without being buried in the project any more than we already are. The alignment of the burr is permanent and need not ever be changed, but there is a simple build instruction to break it all down and put it back together again (but not any real reason to do this). We have come up with some simple tools to include to try and make sure that this one is user friendly right out of the box and are finishing up the instruction manual, which will be fairly minimal as the use of the LIDO will be pretty obvious.

The graphs turned out to be a lot of work and expense (and dash and flash) to enable us to say that a burr adjustment setting of 1/4 to 3/4 is the espresso range, 3/4 to 1 1/2 is drip, and coarse begins at 1 1/2 out from the marked zero. The rest is as we all know, taste and preference.

I have our proto dialed in for press, although there is a fat press pot range. Do any of you have a good set protocol for using a Clever dripper? I am assuming a coarse drip grind but have not seen a concise time/drip down description, and what indicates a proper grind for the Clever. If you could point me to a link, that would do it....I would like to check out this method properly for the videos we have yet to do :) .

Not long now, and again, thanks to all for the interest!

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#133: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Glad to hear it!

About the Clever, I tend to go coarse with it, too, but opinions vary. You can find some videos and discussion on Clever recipes here (among other places):

http://brewmethods.com/
http://www.sweetmarias.com/clevercoffee ... torial.php
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

allon

#134: Post by allon »

For the CCD the biggest thing is to minimize heat loss.
Preheat, coarse grind, hot water and cover it while brewing.
I use water just off a boil, stir, cover for 3:30, stir, cover for another :30 then put it on top of a cup to drain.
LMWDP #331

Sponsor

#135: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

Thank for the links :) ....I had never stumbled across the brew methods site...whew, some variance of opinion but I get the gist. Is the ideal drip down time 1 minute as a generally accepted number?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#136: Post by jbviau »

Well, maybe 1 minute-ish. Sometimes takes a little longer for various reasons in my experience.

espressoperson

#137: Post by espressoperson »

orphanespresso wrote:Is the ideal drip down time 1 minute as a generally accepted number?
IME with medium to fine drip grind typically close to 1.5 min. With coarse press grind a minute or a bit less. That's with a Baratza Vario; can't wait to try it with a LIDO.
michaelb, lmwdp 24

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#138: Post by jbviau »

orphanespresso wrote:The alignment of the burr is permanent and need not ever be changed, but there is a simple build instruction to break it all down and put it back together again (but not any real reason to do this)...
For cleaning, maybe? It's possible I'm misunderstanding the extent to which the grinder would need to be "broken down" to do this.

So did the bags come in yet?

Sponsor

#139: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

You will soon see that little needs to be done and the inner burr can be removed for cleaning if need be through the bottom but the entire frame and discs do not need to be taken apart, just remove the adjustment bar and handle, pull out the burr, clean with brush and reverse....it will all be in the manual...if UPS tracking is reliable the bags arrive MONDAY!!! (We hope they are worth the wait and they spelled LIDO correctly). Even if the things are shocking pink and say EO ODIL that is what you get :D .

time8theuniverse

#140: Post by time8theuniverse »

8) . Now I really am going to have to work on my excuses for ordering more coffee gear.

"Its for the zombie apocalypse, you need great coffee gear for it."

"I fell over."

I'll work on it. Can you post picks of the bags when you get them, just to see if the shocking pink will match my outfits (joke).
Infinitely capable of being completely wrong.