Le'Lit PL53 Stepless Doserless Espresso Grinder - Page 4

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#31: Post by 1st-line (original poster) »

gmwoodturner wrote:I am in the market for my first grinder and noticed in one of the post that they are or will be available in Canada.
Could some one tell where I can purchase one in Canada.
Thanks for the great web site and all replies
Gary
They are scheduled to arrive in the next week here:

http://www.coffeephilter.com
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

zanderale

#32: Post by zanderale »

Hello all....
I ordered one of these on Sunday, Jan 13th and it arrived Tuesday, Jan 15th. Nice ship speed (considering the free 7-day UPS ground option).

So, on to first impressions.

It is small. Way smaller than I expected. I wasn't disapointed at all, just surprised. I don't have the counter top-to-cabinet bottom limitation that a lot of people talk about so I imagine for tight spaces, this is your grinder of choice. I do own a commercial machine and it completely dwarfs the grinder. It is bright and shiny (nothing looks as clean and sleek as stainless) with simple switches and pieces. The hopper is a great size and the cord length is just fine. The hopper neck didn't quite fit in at first because the stainless hole in the top wasn't quite aligned with the hole in the black plastic burr carrier...no big deal, though. A little push here and it popped right in. There were some grounds (I assume they were grounds) in the burrs when I got it, but I am happy the factory checked it before shipping.

Grinding.

The noise is no louder than a blender. I think it is magnified in the video, because I thought it was going to be really loud when I got it. putting the lid on cuts a quarter of the noise down as well.
I was taken aback (probably because I am used to commercial espresso grinders) at the range of the burrs. It took me two whole turns to get the shot time down 3 seconds. I am much more accustomed to barely "bumping" the collar of a grinder to have that kind of range. All in all I used about a quarter of a pound dialing it in. I can see, however, if you were trying to go between drip, french press, espresso every day what a tedious task moving from one method of brewing to the other would be. You would literally have to count how many turns and write yourself a chart to do it efficiently. The grinds coming out for espresso were very nice and even (yeah, conical burrs!) as well as fairly fast. My only complaint is that I have a Brasilia Portofino so the portafilter is so deep, I have to tilt it back toward me to fill the basket. If I leave it level, the grinds build up in the chute and don't get to fall into the basket. If I had a slimmer PF (like astoria or La MAr) it would be no problem.

I picked up some Toscano from CC at Murky in DC to take home and dial it in. It was roasted on Thursday and was oh-so-yummy! After half an hour of tinkering, Anna and I were sipping some nice shots and making up some lattes (steaming my milk in a French press carafe...gotta buy a pitcher soon).

So a thumbs up to Le Lit for putting a damn good espresso grinder on the market that is a solid piece of equipment both in design and production. To have a brand new, conical burr, stepless, doserless, stainless steel espresso grinder for under 200 was only a dream until you guys rolled this out. Thanks and I look forward to many happy shots!

Alex

Sponsor

#33: Post by 1st-line (original poster) »

zanderale wrote:
It is small. Way smaller than I expected. I wasn't disapointed at all, just surprised. I don't have the counter top-to-cabinet bottom limitation that a lot of people talk about so I imagine for tight spaces, this is your grinder of choice. I do own a commercial machine and it completely dwarfs the grinder. It is bright and shiny (nothing looks as clean and sleek as stainless) with simple switches and pieces. The hopper is a great size and the cord length is just fine. The hopper neck didn't quite fit in at first because the stainless hole in the top wasn't quite aligned with the hole in the black plastic burr carrier...no big deal, though. A little push here and it popped right in. There were some grounds (I assume they were grounds) in the burrs when I got it, but I am happy the factory checked it before shipping.
Alex,

Thanks for the constructive feedback. It personally makes me feel good that a product can be delivered right the first time. I spent a lot of time with this grinder at home and with the manufacturer over the phone, via emails, and meeting them in Italy - BEFORE the product was launched.

I agree the grinder is small - it was intended to be very compact for the smallest of situations while at the same time delivering performance. Lelit has been provided a link to this site - so hopefully, they are watching the fruit of their labor, as well (as I did drive them nuts!).

As for the chute not fitting correctly, I am already advising Lelit to pay more attention to their cutting of the stainless steel hole made for the bean hopper. Once again, thanks for the constructive feedback.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

fifthgen

#34: Post by fifthgen »

Jim this is a great price of a capable grinder. Thank you for making it available. Your price for the replacement burrs is truly a breakthrough as well.

These burrs should outlast rocky burrs by miles. Conical burrs last and last. One reason is the increased cutting area.

I do differ a bit on your statement that stepless grinders are meant for espresso. Worm driven adjustment grinders certainly are meant for one brewing style, but the mazzer line can go from espresso to drip and back pretty quickly.
good coffee to you and your guests

ntwkgestapo

#35: Post by ntwkgestapo »

I purchased one of these and got it yesterday. I've been waxing (well, not poetic! :D), er, praising this grinder over in the "Getting to know the Gaggia Factory" thread. I HAVE found a problem with this tho..... My Americano is gone! :D Tasted so good, it didn't last! I've GOT to give a BIG thanks to Jim @ 1st-Line as this grinder fits in the space I have and does a GREAT job of grinding! Nice fluffy grind and NO static that I can see. Just GREAT! If you're space or budget constrained I couldn't recommend this grinder more highly! Again, Jim THANK YOU!
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164

Mike Panic

#36: Post by Mike Panic »

Ordered 45 minutes ago - hoping my delivery time is as fast as everyone elses since im only an hour or so car ride from 1st-line....review will come shortly.

Sponsor

#37: Post by 1st-line (original poster) »

For those who have been procrastinating, this is a heads up for our special introductory price on this grinder. Just to make everyone aware, this $199 pricing was on a select number of units.

Well, we are getting close to this point.... And, once these are gone, the pricing will go up to $229.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

ntwkgestapo

#38: Post by ntwkgestapo »

One "Issue" I've had with the grinder so far, is... I've been unable to remove the doser chute. I've removed the screw (11mm socket fits just fine!) but don't seem to be able to get the chute off! I've been a tad unwilling to exert a LOT of force for fear of breakage. Once I see what's under there I'm sure I'll be "relieved" but the screw is tight (no finger tightening for this screw) and it just doesn't seem to want to come off... Maybe I'll try a bit more force tonight. Just want to be able to clean it out a bit...
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164

jariten22

#39: Post by jariten22 »

Steve - re: the chute, I just used force and yanked it off. It's stuck on tightly enough that you don't need to use the thumbscrew to put it back on solidly. In fact, I was unable/unwilling to bend the chassis enough to get the thumbscrew hole to line up enough to put it back in!

Java Jones

#40: Post by Java Jones »

I got mine ordered, anyway . . . Jan. 25 -- about 12:01 AM PST.

I'd been all over the place on a grinder. Returned the Krups blade thingie. Returned a Starbucks Barista (static, won't grind coarse enough for press pot, nor fine enough for espresso). I looked at a Zassenhaus manual, Gazzia MDF, Rancilio Rocky (doserless) and a Mazzer Mini.

I don't do espresso. (Heresy! Heresy!)

I do press pot, moka pot, drip. Down the road I might go for a vac-pot. I don't entertain, don't have an espresso machine (although there's a Mazzia Factory G106 calling my name . . . )

I'm looking for a conical burr machine, low RPM, that won't static charge the grinds. Stainless is nice. I'm a nut for stainless. I particularly like that the "dump chute" on this rig is stainless and not plastic. My experience with plastic and grounds it that they generate static.

Stainless -- I like stainless, did I mention I'm a nut for stainless . . . in a compact unit for individual, small-volume use that's not going to take over my limited counter space.

I got a referral from another site . . . and the reviews here closed the sale. Jim sounds like the sort of business I want to give my trade to. When I take delivery, we'll write a review.