Le'Lit PL53 Stepless Doserless Espresso Grinder - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#11: Post by 1st-line (original poster) »

HB wrote:The outlets are a foot off the floor instead of the countertop backslash like the kitchen's, which brings up a minor point: The PL53's cord is approximately two feet long... not enough in my case. The Mazzer grinder's cord is almost twice as long. Oh well, it gives me the excuse to mount an outlet strip/surge protector.
Just a point about the cord.... my first prototype had a cord roughly two meters long - way too long to have so much cord on the countertop. To make this grinder very competitively priced, shortening the cord was one of several areas that would lower the price, but not the performance.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

Today is the first day back from vacation and the espresso gods took mercy on me. Mark at Counter Culture Coffee fixed me up with Lem's competition winning Twin Cities Express. It took two adjustments for the PL53 to narrow in on a good pour, then four wonderful espressos over the course of the day. Be forewarned that this coffee has a long rest period of at least 5-6 days. I had tried it earlier in the week and it was much improved today -- full of blooming crema, intriguing flavors, and enjoyable taste transition as it fades.

The PL53's adjustment is rather fine. Switching from yesterday's blend required a good full revolution of the adjustment dial.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

HB wrote:The PL53 is louder than the Mazzer Mini, but still within reason. Its sound and noise level reminds me of our food processor, if that helps.
For an offline request, below is a sound comparison of the two grinders side-by-side:

«missing video»
Dan Kehn

aindfan

#14: Post by aindfan »

The review posts above make it sound like this grinder would be a perfect high-quality entry level grinder that is (both for price and quality) better than the Rocky and in some ways comparable to the Mini-E. Am I reading this correctly, and is this $200 grinder really putting up a fight against an ~$800 grinder? (Note: In making this very generalized claim, I am going with the assumption that I could accurately dose without the Mini-E's timer and that I can WDT out the few clumping issues that would remain)

Is this truly a grinder that would be a great alternative to a Mazzer Mini in the sense that it is more dorm-room friendly (smaller, less expensive, equally adjustable) for espresso-only use (if I am dialing in and sticking to one blend at a time).

Thanks!
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB »

aindfan wrote:The review posts above make it sound like this grinder would be a perfect high-quality entry level grinder that is (both for price and quality) better than the Rocky and in some ways comparable to the Mini-E.
For the record, this isn't a review, just casual "first impressions" posts. :D

I haven't done side-by-side blind tastings, but you're right, I'm impressed with the quality of the extractions. It does produce less clumping than the Mini E and a lot less than the doserless Rancilio Rocky, which is a candidate for WDT poster child. I've not disassembled it, but I don't believe it's anywhere near the same level of sturdiness of the Rocky. For example, Rocky's burr carrier is made from machined brass and it has a beefy motor. Judging from what's visible from the exit chute, the LeLit PL53's burr carrier is a hard black plastic resin of some sort. I don't know the replacement schedule for the PL53's burrs, but I would bet it's more frequent than Rocky's and much more frequent than the Mini E's.
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#16: Post by cannonfodder »

But you could purchase a bushel of burrs for the price difference. It looks like a nice entry level on a budget doesn't have any space to spare grinder. I don't think I would replace a Super Jolly or Robur with it; we are talking about two very different classes of grinders.

What I am reading (I have no first hand experience with it but I trust Dan's first look), it is a price point performer, there are better options if you have cash and counter space. However in the bang for the buck scale it scores very high. I know I would probably opt for it over the Gaggia MDF I once had.
Dave Stephens

aindfan

#17: Post by aindfan »

I don't think I could have put it better.

One issue: I was unable to find burrs for sale on the 1st-line website and on EPNW. It seems like 1st-line may be one of the only places that sells Le-Lit. What does this mean for burr replacement when the time rolls around? Any ideas how much new burrs would cost?

Thanks
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203

Advertisement
1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#18: Post by 1st-line (original poster) replying to aindfan »

Currently, we are the exclusive importer for Le'Lit espresso machines and grinders. It looks like we have a distributor on board in Canada, and there will be more to follow in the USA most likely in the near future.

Please note that the pricing is introductory.

Finally, the bean hopper, bean hopper cover, and the burr set have been set up online sans pictures at http://www.1st-line.NET.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

aindfan

#19: Post by aindfan »

1st-line wrote:Finally, the bean hopper, bean hopper cover, and the burr set have been set up online sans pictures at http://www.1st-line.NET.
I stand corrected. A quick search of "Le'Lit" on the 1st-line site showed me the burrs, currently at $30 (it says regular price $40). Looks fairly reasonable, depending on replacement schedule (as long as the price difference between this and a Mazzer is much less than the total spent on new burrs for about 4-5 years.
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203

aindfan

#20: Post by aindfan »

Now here comes the $200, $450, or $530 question: get one of these to hold onto for a few years (figuring for 2-3 burr replacements) or get a Mazzer mini used or new? This would be much more conveniently sized for a dorm room, but with the mini I know that I'm investing in a grinder that I won't get upgraditis with for a long time. The mini, however, seems messier and clumpier than the Le'Lit (notes about grinds going far left come to mind).

Any advice?
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203