www.klatchroasting.com: USBC champion, voted 2009 'best micro-roaster'

For rent: Scace thermofilter and Fluke 54-II thermometer

Postby JimG on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Starting next week (7/27/09), I will make a Scace Thermofilter (version 1, no pressure gauge) available for weekly rental to H-B members. I will also include a calibrated Fluke 54 II thermometer.

The weekly rental rate will be $45, plus a flat fee of $16 for insured shipping to any US address. A refundable security deposit of $250 will be required. Return shipping will your responsibility.

If you wish to record data on the Fluke: for no charge I will download whatever is stored when I receive it back, import it into an Excel spreadsheet, and email it back to you. (Of course, you can also replay any stored data and jot it down on a notepad yourself. The Fluke 54 will record up to 500 data points).

If your machine has a standard 58mm group (e.g. E-61, Silvia), it will fit. I also have a Gaggia portafilter that allows use of the Thermofilter on a Gaggia machine.

I am making this available because I have two Thermofilters. I use one of them nearly every day in testing PID kits, and this one is my spare. But it seems like a waste to have it just sitting on the shelf.

Contact me through H-B, or jim at pidkits dot com to make arrangements. Probably PayPal will be the easiest way to handle the finances.

Jim

PS - if you send a private email, please provide your H-B user ID since I wish to have this be for H-B members only.

JimG

Postby HB on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks Jim for offering a ready-to-rent kit! Those who are interested in renting should contact Jim directly to make arrangements.
Dan Kehn
HB

Postby erics on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Jim -

This is a wonderful venture on your part.

Here's hoping you have developed some explicit machine cleaning and flow rate numbers for those who rent.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at erols dot com
erics

Postby JimG on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:23 pm

erics wrote:Here's hoping you have developed some explicit machine cleaning and flow rate numbers for those who rent.

Uhhhhhhh. :roll:

Machine cleaning -- yes.

Flow rate -- not sure about that one. On my machines, a clean Thermofilter passes between 50ml and 60ml in 25 seconds. What else do you think users should know?

Jim
JimG

Postby Sherman on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 am

JimG wrote: On my machines, a clean Thermofilter passes between 50ml and 60ml in 25 seconds. What else do you think users should know?

Jim,

I thought that the original design of this device was calibrated in such a manner as to pass 60ml in 25 seconds for a machine pushing at 9 BAR. Any significant variation would be indicative of a different pressure. Am I on the right track here, or did I misinterpret the original specs?

Aside from this, I'd imagine that the Scace thermofilter device thread should be required reading for anyone interested in your very generous offer.

In the aforementioned thread, BobY, Barry and a few others also mention that significantly lower flow may be attributed to the dread "swarf", or other detritus.

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288
Sherman
Team HB

Postby JimG on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:47 am

Sherman wrote:I thought that the original design of this device was calibrated in such a manner as to pass 60ml in 25 seconds for a machine pushing at 9 BAR. Any significant variation would be indicative of a different pressure. Am I on the right track here, or did I misinterpret the original specs?

AFAIK, this is correct.

Jim
JimG

Postby Psyd on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Sherman wrote:I thought that the original design of this device was calibrated in such a manner as to pass 60ml in 25 seconds for a machine pushing at 9 BAR.

I could be completely wrong, but the recollection that I have from its development and shakedown thread was that it would pass 70 - 76ml in 30 seconds to imitate what would exit the group on a 60ml pull, 10 or 16ml being retained by the puck? Or has there been some adjustment to that since?
Greg, you out there?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175
Psyd

Postby HB on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:55 pm

From Scace Thermofilter Temperature Device:

gscace wrote:I suppose I need to clarify this for everyone, but the reason that the flowrate is a little higher than you think it ought to be is because the coffee cake absorbs water that you don't see in the shot, but which passes through the group. We measured the water uptake of a bunch of shots (well actually Barry did the measurements), and the value is about equal to the amount of coffee in the pf. So the 2.5 ounce number is actually just a shade shy at 25 seconds. The Italian standard is for 30 secs extraction and the WBC standard is as well, so the volume collected that you see will be very close to right at 30 secs. Should be around 76 ml at 30 secs.

gscace wrote:I've been checking all of the flow rates before sending them out. They are all being run at 9 bars and should produce around 75 mls in 30 secs. The WBC standard and Italian standard is for 30 secs extraction and the tolerance is +- 5 I believe. Could be that your brewing pressure is too low.
Dan Kehn
HB

Postby Sherman on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:51 pm

feh. Who needs Greg to chime in when we have the the 1-2 punch of prior posts and a moderator who is patient enough to use the "search" function? Thanks for making me feel that much lazier. ;)

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288
Sherman
Team HB

Postby Psyd on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Sherman wrote:feh. Who needs Greg to chime in when we have the the 1-2 punch of prior posts and a moderator who is patient enough to use the "search" function? Thanks for making me feel that much lazier. ;)

Ehm, I'll double that 'thank you for corroborating a failing memory' there Dan!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175
Psyd