For rent: Scace thermofilter and Fluke 54-II thermometer - Page 2

Postby cannonfodder on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:52 am

Not sure about the Scace I but I know the Scace II will not fit Elektra groups. The portafilter lugs are too long and wont fit into the raceways on the bell. I had to shorten the ones on my Scace II to make it work.
Dave Stephens
cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby Psyd on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:46 pm

cannonfodder wrote:Not sure about the Scace I but I know the Scace II will not fit Elektra groups. The portafilter lugs are too long and wont fit into the raceways on the bell. I had to shorten the ones on my Scace II to make it work.

So, all Elektras use the same group? If I were to take a PF over to a local Bell Epoque, and it fit, I could pretty much be guaranteed that it'd fit your Elektra? I'm gonna guess that that is the case, but not gonna bet on it til I hear from someone with a bit more Elektra experience.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175
Psyd

Postby cannonfodder on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 am

I believe they do, as long as the portafilter is of the same size. The Leva uses a smaller portafilter but the group bell still looks the same, just downsized. I have only had hands on with 3 different models (dont count the A3 and T1 as being two since they are identical with the exception of the flowmeter). Have not used the Epoque but it is a beautiful machine. Stefano could probably answer that question definitively.
Dave Stephens
cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby shadowfax on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:57 am

Elektra uses the same group in all of its commercial machines (Sixties, Belle Epoque, Classic, Modern). I believe that the Semiautomatica uses a similar group bell to the one on the commercial group, but with a different group gasket (it would seem, from Stefano's site), and the Mini Verticale uses a special group bell, if you could call it that. In any case, they are both compatible with the Elektra commercial portafilter. There's a diagram of the Semi vs. Elektra commercial groupheads in Jim's Semiautomatica Review:

Nicholas Lundgaard
shadowfax
Team HB

Postby Gime2much on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I thought I should chime in here being (I think) the first to give Jim's offer a go. He's a very pleasant and professional person to work with and the package he sends out reflects that. For home use a Scace was just too expensive to purchase but the rental deal is well worth the money. I'd been using the over-the-lip K- type/Fluke method for some time but had the nagging though in the back of my mind that the measurement could be off several degrees. Turns out the average of the results were within 1/2f of the Scace after doing 15 tests on each. Never would have really know if not for this opportunity to rent one.

Thanks Jim!!!!
Gime2much

Postby Bacms on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:00 am

Does anyone know if there is something like this but on the UK? I installed a PID on my gaggia classic and would like to know in more detail the temperature behaviour of the machine. But I cannot really afford spend £400 on a Fluke thermometer.
Bacms

Postby AngerManagement on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:01 am

Does anyone know if there is something like this but on the UK? I installed a PID on my gaggia classic and would like to know in more detail the temperature behaviour of the machine. But I cannot really afford spend £400 on a Fluke thermometer.

There are many devices that can be used to measure temperature and the only thing that truly separates them is the level of accuracy and the cost that comes with accuracy.

Not at all familiarise with you machine; but I first played witha bead type thermistor and a relative cheap meter (with data logging feature - e-bay ) that was matched to the j type bead thermocouple on a flexible flying lead. Combined accuracy was approx +/- 2C... And a test at 0C (Slushed iced water as per ISO standards) and with boiling water 100C lead me to be happy that the system was reading about 1C high ( Acceptable).

A: Then got an old shower screen, made some slight modifications and was able to push the bead up into the area between the shower screen and head. I then used a old puck and did not lock in all the way as I was a little concerned that it could damage the flying lead. Was going to add a small grove to the edge of an old PF basket to allow the lead not to be crushed but... Well, I got lazy :lol:

This will give you an idea of what temp is at the shower screen. NOTE: These values are valid only for you machine, not others as they may measure differently and or have a different accuracy.

Then by running cooling shots, flushing etc etc you can get a better visual of the temp profile / response of YOUR machine.

What is in the cup is still the best way to judge if you have it all OK.

This was OK but not an easy job to do one a few different machines; so then I made my own SCACE. However even then it is mainly to check and validate the Temp profile....

At this stage some ones hands you a machine with a non 58mm basket and back to square one. Do it the messy way or go and make another unit and Nakid to suit. Old PF basket / potting mix / blead / Temp bead and then construct and then machine to suit the machine and the clearance from shower screen to fake puck and the pathway to allow the bled to work.

IF a one off and you want a close idea of the temp and profile of your group, go the simple but not so nice method A.
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte
AngerManagement