Decent Espresso "Spilling the Beans" [video]

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
decent_espresso
Sponsor

#1: Post by decent_espresso »

"Spilling the Beans" is a video series we're making, tracking our adventure of becoming an espresso machine manufacturer.

The entire series can be viewed as a playlist here: http://decentespresso.com/#sb

This is the first episode, where I give a bit of background, specifically answering the question "Why coffee?"
I'll be posting the other episodes into this HB thread over time, and as the episodes get made. I'm working on Episode #5 right now, where we move to China to work on getting our espresso machine manufactured.

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Thanks John, as you describe in the video, we've all had that magical coffee A-ha moment. We have vivid memories of a specific time and place when we had that eye-opening specialty coffee experience. When we realized coffee could be much more than caffeine delivery.

It's good to see you have that same passion we do. And marrying that passion with your push for innovation and novel use of existing technologies can only bring good things. We continue to wish you well with Decent. As you know, many of us are following development of your coffee ecosystem with great interest.

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#3: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:As you know, many of us are following development of your coffee ecosystem with great interest.
Thanks Canuck! And the Home Barista community has been super valuable to me, in making it possible to have a conversation with crazy-passionate espresso amateurs (in the best sense of the word), and thus help shape what's coming. Plus it's fun to geek out on coffee.

Here's the 2nd video in the series, in which I talk about ZPM Espresso :

day

#4: Post by day »

Donald is the nominee and you guys are just awesome now. Gong to have to eat both socks:) (I was originally a doubter after watching the zpm happen, but you guys are a whole different level.) Thanks for starting up an awesome process. The videos will be fun to watch!
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Sponsor

#5: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Building the prototype (episode 3) :

Sponsor

#6: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Episode 4: the Doser

Sponsor

#7: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Episode 5: "The China Fiasco"

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

Yikes!

I imagine there are many people like her who prey on small entrepreneurs like you guys, in Asia. Glad it at least ended early.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Sponsor

#9: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

TomC wrote:I imagine there are many people like her who prey on small entrepreneurs like you guys, in Asia. Glad it at least ended early.
A friend of mine who knows her, said "She preys on people's dreams". And we've since met two other parties who have been similarly treated by her, but theirs ended much worse for them than ours did.

I'm now good friends with Eric, the Chinese factory owner, he's a good guy, and his two group E61 machine is in our office and many of our videos. Today (Friday), Brad is swapping out the group head in our DE1 prototype for a new revision, so I made lattes for everyone at the office using Eric's machine.

ds

#10: Post by ds »

You know, this is nice, but I wish you have done everything in US, there was no reason to go to China except profits. My understanding is that you have made your fortune in US and it would have been responsible and kind of karmic thing to do to manufacture where you "made it" and where you will sell most of your product... But that's just me...