Decent Espresso Machine - Page 12

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#111: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

VIDEO: "Scace shot" on our Decent Espresso Machine

Sponsor

#112: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

VIDEO: "DE1+ creator mode demonstrated"

indend007

#113: Post by indend007 »

decent_espresso wrote:VIDEO: "Scace shot" on our Decent Espresso Machine
Thanks for great video.

Where is water and basket temperature probe? And it looks there is 2 red line on temperature graph, please let me know temperature measurement.

Sponsor

#114: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

indend007 wrote:Where is basket temperature probe?
It's mounted into the diffuser, a millimeter or two above the basket. We couldn't find a closer place to get it. :D
indend007 wrote:And it looks there is 2 red line on temperature graph, please let me know temperature measurement.
There are two temperatures: the "water mix" (thin line) and the basket temperature (thick line).

We also have two temperature operating modes, which I haven't thought of a name for, but let's call them "traditional mode" and "basket temperature mode"

In traditional mode, the DE1+ outputs a constant water temperature, and we ignore what the basket temperature is (ie, the cooling effect of the grounds, the basket and the portafilter). This is how boiler based espresso machines work, and is what everyone knows and loves.

In "basket temperature mode" our goal is getting the basket temperature to the set point, and we vary the water mix temperature to get it there. This mode compensates for a cold basket, cold portafilter, and the room-temperature grounds. The goal with this mode, which is what you're seeing in the video, is to have as much of the espresso brewing happen at your goal temperature. You can see that the PID system automatically overheats the water at the start, because the grounds have cooled the water down, because we've told our PID to get the basket temperature to the goal.

This technique was motivated by something Scott Rao told me, that he much preferred pour over to espresso, because more of the extraction happens at the same temperature. That's what we're trying to do in this "basket temperature mode".

To my knowledge, this is brand new, and possible because we use water mixing to quickly and dynamically change the water temperature. The theory is that this will produce "better tasting espresso" but of course that will have to be decided in the fullness of time.

indend007

#115: Post by indend007 »

decent_espresso wrote:It's mounted into the diffuser, a millimeter or two above the basket. We couldn't find a closer place to get it. :D

There are two temperatures: the "water mix" (thin line) and the basket temperature (thick line).

We also have two temperature operating modes, which I haven't thought of a name for, but let's call them "traditional mode" and "basket temperature mode"

In traditional mode, the DE1+ outputs a constant water temperature, and we ignore what the basket temperature is (ie, the cooling effect of the grounds, the basket and the portafilter). This is how boiler based espresso machines work, and is what everyone knows and loves.

In "basket temperature mode" our goal is getting the basket temperature to the set point, and we vary the water mix temperature to get it there. This mode compensates for a cold basket, cold portafilter, and the room-temperature grounds. The goal with this mode, which is what you're seeing in the video, is to have as much of the espresso brewing happen at your goal temperature. You can see that the PID system automatically overheats the water at the start, because the grounds have cooled the water down, because we've told our PID to get the basket temperature to the goal.

This technique was motivated by something Scott Rao told me, that he much preferred pour over to espresso, because more of the extraction happens at the same temperature. That's what we're trying to do in this "basket temperature mode".

To my knowledge, this is brand new, and possible because we use water mixing to quickly and dynamically change the water temperature. The theory is that this will produce "better tasting espresso" but of course that will have to be decided in the fullness of time.
I got it. It seems really cool to me. :)

Fluffeepuff

#116: Post by Fluffeepuff »

I'm no espresso machine expert - but the machine sounds very unique while running.

redbone

#117: Post by redbone replying to Fluffeepuff »

It 's definitely unique. My neighbour had a Ford model "T" with a similar sound profile :mrgreen:
Nice steady machine with vg control and information for the end user.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Sponsor

#118: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Fluffeepuff wrote:I'm no espresso machine expert - but the machine sounds very unique while running.
What you're hearing is two vibratory pumps, one for extra-hot water (98°C) and one for room temperature water.

Each pump is sent a single AC electrical cycle when we want it to push water. This allows us to precisely control the water flow to create pressure and to accurately mix between the hot and cold pumps to give you instant water temperature changes.

The DE1 pumps are very audible during pressure ramp-up and when heating the water tanks, as the pumps are running strong then. Once the shot is up to pressure, the pumps are almost silent.

You'll get an idea of the sound level of the machine in a future video, but I previously made a Decibel test video and found the DE1 to be just slightly louder than room ambience. The sound level has gotten better since this video, too.

nuanced

#119: Post by nuanced »

a previous H-B posting member asked about pick-up of product in SEATTLE ; ANSWER was somewhat cryptic , and gave the impression that product ships from HK direct to customer ; is this what is happening ? or are the machines shipped to SEATTLE first , then shipped out to customers ?

Sponsor

#120: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to nuanced »

Apologies if I wasn't clear:

1) we make everything we sell, ourselves, in Hong Kong. We ship from Hong Kong to wherever you are. There is no stock of espresso machines sitting around as our espresso machines are built to order.

2) we will be opening a repair depot in Seattle, as one of our hardware engineers is still based there.