Decent Espresso Machine - Page 139

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
michael

#1381: Post by michael »

EspressoForge wrote:You can see if you add to cart, Sept 30th. Though I'll be happy if it's before the end of the year. Delays happen and it's a complex project. Maybe I'm just extra understanding due to my own project timelines.
that date doesn't seem realistic unless all the parts are in house and production has started; is that the case :?:

ds

#1382: Post by ds replying to michael »

I'd put $100 nothing ships this year. Maybe next summer...

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1383: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

michael wrote:that date doesn't seem realistic unless all the parts are in house and production has started; is that the case :?:
I don't have a firm date yet, as all parts have not yet been ordered, as we are still sorting out some design-for-manufacturing issues that I've described in a post a few days ago. Once all the parts are ordered, I'll have estimated parts arrival dates and I'll have an idea when the last part is scheduled to arrive. That will, of course, be the earliest possible date that a DE1 could ship.

Sponsor

#1384: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

ds wrote:I'd put $100 nothing ships this year. Maybe next summer...
If you're serious about that bet, I'm up for it.

ds

#1385: Post by ds replying to decent_espresso »

I would not dream of taking money from you, you need every penny. Remember back in 2016 I said you will not ship by Christmas and maybe you'll ship by Christmas 2017? I know bit or two about manufacturing and your dates are simply not realistic. I am surprised you have not learned that by now.

Sponsor

#1386: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to ds »

He. I take one day at a time and solve each problem as it appears. I am a programmer by trade and it's true that we're fairly incorrigibly optimistic about schedules, as a general truth about us coders.

I hope you're not right, as our to-do list is not looking very intimidating at the moment. CE/UL certification, we'll do our best to move along at a healthy pace, but it's not entirely in our schedule control.

interseismic

#1387: Post by interseismic »

Out of curiosity, why even take pre-orders at all? From what I understand, you've already put several million dollars into this project. Even if you sold 300 units right now, the profit (if any) is tiny compared with the amount you've already spent, so it's not like you need the money from these pre-orders to build them.

Why not just build a bunch of machines and open orders when ready? Then you wouldn't need to keep people on pre-order for years at a time with this slow drip before a single machine has made it to anyone.

Last November you wrote: "DECENT ESPRESSO MACHINES NOW AVAILABLE. The Decent Espresso Machines are now available for ordering".

ds

#1388: Post by ds »

interseismic wrote:Out of curiosity, why even take pre-orders at all?
I think there are couple of reasons:

1. Some people just believe in project and want to be on the list to get their machines first.
2. Its motivation for the team to have orders on hand.
3. Every little bit of cash helps.

I think they should be taking in all the orders they can get. Its going to take years to recoup initial investment.

HB
Admin

#1389: Post by HB »

interseismic wrote:Out of curiosity, why even take pre-orders at all? ...
Why not just build a bunch of machines and open orders when ready? Then you wouldn't need to keep people on pre-order for years at a time with this slow drip before a single machine has made it to anyone.
The question of when Decent Espresso will ship has come up several times. I think this is a good point to pause the discussion pending a firm update from John on an actual ship date.

UPDATE: Moved to Espresso Machines from Marketplace for historical reference.
Dan Kehn