Decent Espresso Machine - Page 120

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1191: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Just took delivery today of these beautiful, tiny, super-efficient water heaters, custom made for us, with the connectors we wanted. They're a lot more expensive than our DE1 heaters, but they deliver the same heat power of normal water heaters in half the space. This is what we're hoping to use in our DE1CAFE models to deliver more steam power when 220V is available. I've received a lot of email from people wanting the features of the DE1CAFE (gravimetric shots, cafe-grade steam) but not countersunk, hence our interest in smaller heaters, so we can put more heating power in for greater steaming intensity. Yet, in the same chassis as the DE1. It might be possible, but it'll definitely require 220V. Since 220V is available in the US, and obviously the rest of the world has it, that could be ok. Can't say yet if a "desktop DE1CAFE" is possible, but I'd love it to be.

Sponsor

#1192: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

A Paypal Pre-Order story

Back in November, when we started taking pre-orders for our Decent Espresso machines, we were accepting Paypal and Stripe payments. Almost immediately, Paypal freaked out at our sudden rise in sales, and froze our account with $100k of sales in it.

We were told (whoops!) that presales were forbidden by Paypal and that we had to ship everything within 20 days or provide refunds.

Here's paypal's policy on pre-sales.
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/arti ... ms-FAQ1488

What we ended up doing is offering $100 in free accessories to anyone who had bought on Paypal, and who was willing to repurchase their DE1 with their credit card (and be refunded on Paypal), as Stripe has no problem with pre-orders. All but one pre-order took us up on that offer, and they wanted a refund because they didn't want to wait (fair enough).

With the shipment of the Barista Kits last week, we were finally able to get access today to our paypal account (everything ordered has either shipped or been refunded).

We're not yet accepting payments via paypal, not until all our items are in stock and shipping, so that we don't run afoul of Paypal's rules. I'm hoping to find the time to program a more nuanced shopping cart, that allows paypal if you are only ordering currently-shipping items.

Bugs is jumping for joy at the moment, as this Paypal fiasco happened when I was on tour, and she was managing the company, and doing all the tech support I do, and all the accounting. It was not a good moment for this Paypal mess, but we're happy that it's in the past now!

All part of starting a business.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#1193: Post by jwCrema »

decent_espresso wrote:A Paypal Pre-Order story

Back in November, when we started taking pre-orders for our Decent Espresso machines, we were accepting Paypal and Stripe payments. Almost immediately, Paypal freaked out at our sudden rise in sales, and froze our account with $100k of sales in it.

...All part of starting a business.
Had no idea this had happened. PayPal rules became so paranoid about my identity and verification that I gave up using them for a period of time. But recently I have found this form of payment works well when buying stuff from overseas.

I was hoping I could send the final payment on my DE1+ via PayPal- looks like that will be possible now. Yea!

patrickff

#1194: Post by patrickff »

decent_espresso wrote:Just took delivery today of these beautiful, tiny, super-efficient water heaters, custom made for us,
Look a little bit like Ascaso Thermoblocks.
LMWDP #753

roastini

#1195: Post by roastini »

Small FYI: The forum links at the Decent Espresso website lead to specific pages on those sites:

The HB link takes you to comment 931 (from April) in this thread.

The Coffee Snobs link takes you comment 301 (also from April) in that thread.

And the Coffee Forums UK link takes you to page 231 (current, but presumably won't be after a while) in that thread.

Sponsor

#1196: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

roastini wrote:Small FYI: The forum links at the Decent Espresso website lead to specific pages on those sites:
The HB link takes you to comment 931 (from April) in this thread.
The Coffee Snobs link takes you comment 301 (also from April) in that thread.
And the Coffee Forums UK link takes you to page 231 (current, but presumably won't be after a while) in that thread.
Yeah, I know about this problem.

It's because I couldn't figure out how to make a url link to "most recent comment" or "last page" in a thread.

I'd be grateful to know if there's a solution, a sort of "permanent url" to the current state of a thread. I don't really want to send people to page 1.

O2C

#1197: Post by O2C »

decent_espresso wrote:I'd be grateful to know if there's a solution, a sort of "permanent url" to the current state of a thread. I don't really want to send people to page 1.
You should be able to link forward a lot which would put you to the last page.

That ought to drop you on the last page until the thread exceeds 10,000 posts.

Sponsor

#1198: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

O2C wrote:You should be able to link forward a lot which would put you to the last page.
That ought to drop you on the last page until the thread exceeds 10,000 posts.
ooohh, nice hack! That technique works on Hb, Coffee Snobs and Coffee Forums UK, thank you!

grawk

#1199: Post by grawk »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43925&view=unread

That's the link to the first unread post.

Downunder55

#1200: Post by Downunder55 »

I was fortunate to spend just little time with the DE1 and DE1+ the other day, when I visited Decent Espresso HQ when I was in Hong Kong last week.

I must say first impressions say it all, Wow...... what a lovely looking machine !

It is more compact than I had imagined, even though previously I had looked at all the measurements, it is one tidy looking unit indeed, ideal for our apartment lifestyle that should easily get approval from the "higher being" who likes a clean uncluttered kitchen.

The outside casing feels solid, as does the new drip tray cover that had so much discussion here. Unfortunately the new group head cover was not on, but I would be happy with the current shape in either the black or silver, both have their merits in the looks department.

The polished front plate looks really great against the quality finish on the outside black casing.

The tablet interface is nice, crisp and responsive, or though there are a couple of pretty scary skins I wouldn't want to greet me with the first morning cuppa, but they are selectable.

Making an espresso is quite straight forward, just making a couple of selections on the tablet and after a little mechanical clicking the extraction starts. The steam output was nice and powerful making great silky milk in no time, a skill I am unfortunately still yet to master consistently.

One of the other "must have's" is a DE sprung tamper, it has such a lovely solid feel to it, and so beautifully made.

There is something quite exciting seeing a small development team in action producing something that is quite revolutionary, in plush offices they are not, but there is a real feeling of anticipation in the air that things are now so very close.

I left with a real sense of excitement and a realisation that there will be one of these little babies sitting in our kitchen before Christmas :D

Thank you Edison and John for taking some time out of your day at this busy time.