Decent Espresso Grinder Prototype - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
opother

#31: Post by opother »

Ok so theoretically speaking you don't want to change much about the spout. If its not made of metal and since I see the spout design is not anything new can you make dimensions of it as such that when someone gets tired of breaking them a metal version from another brand would be a close enough or even perfect fit.

Think about it all the cheapskates buying the other brand of used grinder missing a spout would buy your spout to fix it and those who have had enough of plastic would buy the metal one. Even if you do not make one yourself it would probably be a simple cheap enough trouble free solution for the customer and you as well. I probably would not complain and move on with the metal one.

Also make the screw threading a standard size and generally design the spout assembly so people can easily replace any screws that need a screw driver with thumb turn screws down the road after they get tired of looking for the screw driver every time they want to do some generic cleaning.

Scott_G

#32: Post by Scott_G »

If you're still planning on making this grinder, a smaller hopper (1/2 lb) would be better than what looks like a 2 lb hopper. Aesthetics aside, having a large hopper runs the risk of some customers storing weeks of beans in it.

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#33: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to Scott_G »

Hi Scott, we are indeed selling a grinder, but it's not our make, it's made by a German-owned company, manufactured in China, and it's a pro-oriented grinder with a larger hopper and weighed grinding capability. We add a scale, scale stand, and portafilter stand (on the scale) to that grinder, to make something a bit new on the market.

To my knowledge, there is no current pro grade grinder with weighing capability on the market. We're not in a position to design our own grinder from scratch, as we need to focus on our strengths (espresso, tablets, tech). I also think the Baratza Sette is a great choice for a home grinder, and I don't see us outcompeting them anytime soon in their chosen market.

Here is a link to the grinder/doser we do offer.
https://decentespresso.com/pro_grinder

redbone

#34: Post by redbone »

If the hopper chute opening is the same size of most of the other major commercial brands, then the Mazzer mini small hopper would fit. I think the market is ripe for a direct to PF large conical burr with grind by weight feature grinder at the right price point.
If the price was within that of the Sette-W and knowing the DE grinder came with large Robur burrs, I'd lean towards the DE-W grinder. The housing on the DE grinder looks more robust. Yet to compare the other specs though.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Scott_G

#35: Post by Scott_G »

redbone wrote:If the price was within that of the Sette-W and knowing the DE grinder came with large Robur burrs, I'd lean towards the DE-W grinder. The housing on the DE grinder looks more robust. Yet to compare the other specs though.
Kind of the same boat I'm in, although I still might get the Sette (my wife likes it :)). I have only played with a Kony, but never had the $$ to designate for a large conical.

Downunder55

#36: Post by Downunder55 »

decent_espresso wrote:Thanks for pointing me at Jason's project. I've dropped him an email, as what he's done is impressive.

I'd love to manufacture, in the future, a grinder that grinds-directly-into-the-portafilter, but
(a) it's a bunch of R&D and I don't have grinder knowledge in my team,
(b) I don't think I can do it at the price point this grinder I posted above would be sold at (around $250 to $300).

Selling at a $1000 price, a grinder like Jason's starts to become possible, and in a year or two, it'd be great for us to be selling such a beast.
From everything else I have read about what you have been up to, I doubt it, but can't hurt asking .....any progress or discussions with Jason about his grinder .... it is a fine looking beast to have on the kitchen bench ?

If anyone could pull it off at near a$1,000 it would be you guy's :D

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#37: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Downunder55 wrote:From everything else I have read about what you have been up to, I doubt it, but can't hurt asking .....any progress or discussions with Jason about his grinder .... it is a fine looking beast to have on the kitchen bench ? If anyone could pull it off at near a$1,000 it would be you guy's :D
Nope, no progress on that front. I'm very focussed on grind-by-weight, and dosing directly into the pf.

Without knowing much about grinders yet, it looks to me that grind quality can be bought with good burrs and a good motor, and then the question becomes one of added value and design.

dominico
Team HB

#38: Post by dominico replying to decent_espresso »

And alignment, and some solid engineering and materials to make sure that alignment doesn't sway.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?