Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine - Page 81

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
tr182md

#801: Post by tr182md »

I keep thinking I want one of these for my GS/3. But there are so many types of wood, how do you choose? You are doing amazing work!

shawndo

#802: Post by shawndo replying to tr182md »

You want ironwood burl..no need to think further!

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Mark08859

#803: Post by Mark08859 »

That tamper handle is stunning!

cmin

#804: Post by cmin »

That Zebra wood looked so badass actually had me Googl'ing for ideas for kitchen if we buy this house (renting it) or another, even found some tile flooring that looks like Zebra.

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#805: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Ironwood burl is getting very, very difficult to find and the cost of the wood stock has gone up nearly 100% in the past year. What I use is American desert ironwood, it only grows in the desert southwest, you have to be licensed to harvest it, only dead-falls can be harvested (no live standing trees) they only grow to about 30 feet tall and take 700-1000 years to grow. It may get to the point I can no longer offer it simply because I cannot get blocks large enough. Regular desert ironwood I can get but the burl is nearly imposable to get now, FYI.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#806: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Some Macassar ebony for a Bezzera Strega heading out of country.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#807: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I have been sick most of the week so I did not get much accomplished. I did finally finish a couple of Bubinga portafilters.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#808: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I have been sick the past couple weeks, that has a tendency to slow you down. I did manage to get this cocobolo tamper handle finished and 8 sets of Ox horn straight razor handles. The cocobolo will deepen in colour over the coming days/weeks.

Dave Stephens

Mark08859

#809: Post by Mark08859 »

Why would the color of the handle deepen? Is it due to exposure to air or the coating you put on it?

Team HB

#810: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Air. Cocobolo is often purple when freshly turned. With exposure to air/light the oils oxidise and turn red. The longer the exposure the deeper the colour, within reason. There is a upper limit. That is common with all woods, the colour shifts/deepens with time. A finish will slow it, but it is never stopped unless you have a vacuum and absolute darkness. Nature marches on despite man's attempts to capture it under glass.
Dave Stephens