Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine - Page 5

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Boldjava

#41: Post by Boldjava »

My comments would be similar to Jim's. I am delighted with the olive wood portafilter handle. Mine has the higher price finish. It "feels" much better than the molded, formed heavy plastic compound that the original Silvia handle.

As Jim said, "why didn't I do years ago?" I am very tactile. There is the added aesthetic to the wood ... as a budd says (and grins) who also appreciates wood, "...you know, since you added the olive wood PF handle, your capps are even better."

Love it, B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

another_jim
Team HB

#42: Post by another_jim »

I have to make a correction about the stock Elektra handles -- memory is not nearly as accurate as gripping them side by side. Compared to Dave's tapered handles, the Elektra one is about the same length, but fatter at the thickest part. Dave's handle is more comfortable, because the Elektra one's slope from thin to fat increases too rapidly, and doesn't fit the palm as comfortably.

Also, the Elektra fake (rose?) wood has a very small amount of grain visible up close.

All in all, while the Elektra handle is one of the best stock handles on the market, Dave's are a clear step up.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
mhoy

#43: Post by mhoy »

Dave's are really nicely done handles. It's cool that I also got matching steam/water wand handles and tamper handle. They feel really nice in my hand too. Smooth but with a bit of wood grain.

Mark

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#44: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

TimEggers wrote:I'll admit the tear drop shape is very elegant and growing on me (these all look so beautiful).

Dave any photo's of the longer GS3 handles (are they the tear drop as well)? I'm asking because I'm looking to attach a handle to a LM portafilter.

Again they all look fantastic I don't mean to come off as fussy or critical and my apologies if my questions should be handled offline via the original posting's email.
Everyone has wanted the Elektra style, even for their LM's although I can turn them any size and shape. It is a case of no one asking for them in the original LM shape. The handle with the GS3 group cap is longer but still the same Elektra shape.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#45: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Glad you all like them.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#46: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Gabon ebony tamper and steam/water controls and some Mazzer doser/hopper lids that I did earlier but the owner wanted the gloss finish put on them, and his Bacote tamper.

Dave Stephens

dsc

#47: Post by dsc »

Hi Dave,

I really like that V shaped tamper handle, will have to get me one of those from you Dave! shame I got my handles before you introduced gloss finish.

Will say this again: awesome work!!

Regards,
dsc.

Advertisement
Team HB

#48: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

You know, I do enjoy wood working. It is tiring and does take a fair amount of physical labor and skill. You have to learn to read the wood. Decode what is hidden inside but you are never quite sure until you actually start making sawdust. Sure I make a couple of extra dollars doing it, but that is really about the level of my profit margin, but there is something satisfying when you make something from nothing.

For instance. Take this quite ugly rough cut block of maple. Nothing fancy, quite ugly actually but if you read the end grain you can see there is something special going on under that shaggy sawmill cut block of wood.

After 7 hours of work, you are rewarded with one of most beautiful pieces of figured birds-eye maple I have ever worked with. This is a grinds tray, hopper lid and doser cover for a very lucky Mazzer Mini.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#49: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Did I also mention that I think pens are cool? Redwood burl on bottom (roller ball) and a very nice piece of Amboina burl on top (fountain pen)

Dave Stephens

networkcrasher

#50: Post by networkcrasher »

Fuente Anejo's? Nice choice, Dave.

I like the pens, too. :-)