Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine - Page 4

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#31: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Another set in East Indian Rosewood. Reminds me a lot of Walnut in color and grain structure but the wood is a little denser. The hard part was the tamper. There is shoulder that sits inside the piston with the flair on top. The depth and height of the recess has to be spot on or will not sit flush and the flair that mates with the piston has to be about perfect otherwise the flow from the piston to the handle will not be right.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#32: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

For those that have been asking about GS3 and Speedster group caps, after a couple of prototypes I think we have a winner. I still have to mount the threaded insert in the cap but this is what they will look like. The owner also wanted a longer portafilter handle and steam knob which is not in the photo. These were finished in Danish oil. Now the question will be, will the wood withstand the heat or will it crack/warp.

Dave Stephens

JonR10

#33: Post by JonR10 »

cannonfodder wrote:The hard part was the tamper.
Wow. Those are mine! :D
Amazing work, just amazing.
Can't wait to see these pieces in person Dave.

Wow. 8)
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Team HB

#34: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Forgot the Mazzer doser lid.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#35: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I dont normal post photos of something that is already posted. Why have a dozen photos of cocobolo handles, they all look similar, but the color depth on this bloodwood is outstanding. I have enough left of this piece of stock to make another if anyone is interested.

Dave Stephens

chang00

#36: Post by chang00 »

Many thanks to Dave. :D

TimEggers

#37: Post by TimEggers »

Curious what you guys who have these handles think of them as you see them in person and hold them? How do they compare in tactile feel to standard portafilter handles? (I've never used or held a wooden handle)

And Dave what's the possibility of replicating the contour of the rubberized LM portafilter handle (I like Jim S.'s Kingwood myself :wink: )? Now that would be sexy...
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

another_jim
Team HB

#38: Post by another_jim »

To me it feels like "why the hell didn't I do this years ago." The rubber and plastic handles aren't even close, not even the traditional multi-ring shape (although that's still the best in this group). The stock Elektra handle has a very good feel since it's a quality fake wood with a varnished surface; but the slightly shorter shape Dave uses is more comfortable in my hand. Obviously, even the best fake wood is a long way from reproducing the grain of real wood; Elektra is smart enough to realize this and makes their fake wood handles without grain.
Jim Schulman

Marshall

#39: Post by Marshall »

Very, very handsome work, Dave.
Marshall
Los Angeles

TimEggers

#40: Post by TimEggers »

I'll admit the tear drop shape is very elegant and growing on me (these all look so beautiful).

Dave any photo's of the longer GS3 handles (are they the tear drop as well)? I'm asking because I'm looking to attach a handle to a LM portafilter.

Again they all look fantastic I don't mean to come off as fussy or critical and my apologies if my questions should be handled offline via the original posting's email.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202