Cafelat's new XT Tamper - stepless height adjustment

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Cafelatstore
Sponsor

#1: Post by Cafelatstore »

Hi Everyone,

We have launched a website called http://www.cafelatstore.com/ where you will find the entire range of Cafelat products available for shipping anywhere in the world. Eventually we will add other products from other related brands.

I would also like to introduce a new Tamper - the XT Tamper that I have been working on for what seems like all 2012. It sort of happened by accident, a criticism of our standard tampers go me thinking and I came up with this, the last tamper you ever need to buy.

100% 304 grade stainless steel made by investment casting
Adjustable height with approx. 20mm of stepless adjustment
Ingenious design makes it only 370g for 58mm (half of what 100% steel should be)
Hand-made using old school machines and techniques by myself
Mirror or Cast finish handles
Flat bases 53mm, 58mm, 58.35mm
XT silicone puck is included - a tamper set is $99

That's right, the tamper is height adjustable to fit your hand/grip, and the overall height of the tamper can be changed from around 80mm to 100mm. There are no uncomfortable spacers or washers for the height adjustment, it is all contained within and the adjustment is stepless, meaning you can lock it off anywhere you like within the range. Adjustment takes just a few seconds using the allen key that comes with the set.

I also looked at new production methods. CNC machining is great but you end up with a bunch of heavy metal discs that look the same. So I went with casting the metal, which has allowed me to get the weight of this 100% stainless steel tamper to the same as a regular steel and wood tamper. A solid steel tamper would weight almost 800g! Plus I was able to get this fantastic cast metal look on the parts, no 2 tampers will ever look the same.

But what is extra special is that apart from when we made the metal casting wax molds, this tamper is CNC free - i.e. I only use manual machines to make this by hand. The cast parts are made for us and then sent to me in Hong Kong where I do all the machining myself. There are no fancy computer machines just me, a pillar drill, a lathe and a polishing lathe. At the moment these are all made individually and are certainly not mass produced.

The mirror handle for example has over 10 steps to get it to "Alessi" like quality, including over 5 different polishing compounds. For the pieces with the cast finish, I still give them a polish but keep as much of the texture from the casting process as possible. All of the important bits like the base surface and the base diammeter are precision made, but I wanted to keep the lumps and bumps from the casting there in all it's glory so expect a precision tamper that is like a piece of fine art with heaps of character.

There are a heap more details on the website and the blog. http://www.cafelatstore.com/blogs/news

Thanks,

Paul Pratt

Cafelatstore (original poster)
Sponsor

#2: Post by Cafelatstore (original poster) »

A couple more pictures shot next to me Faema Mercurio. Here is a comparison of 2 XT tampers, one extended and one contracted using the height adjustment mechanism. Remember one tamper fits all.

Here's a shot of the base. Like I said above, the tamper may look a bit arty and raw in places, but where it matters to us I have machined it to exceed the standards we expect.

Advertisement
Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

I would strongly consider offering a shipping option cheaper than EMS, like registered air mail.
Chris

Sponsor

#4: Post by Cafelatstore (original poster) »

We will have a look next week, the EMS idea was to help with tracking. I have some really great new stuff to add in a few weeks so we may be able to offer some shipping deals.

Paul

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Hi, I like many aspects of your tamper including the slightly larger then 58mm option, but to be frank find your price high considering I can get a Espro calibrated tamper for less.
I know that you mention light weight but I prefer the heavy weight of a tamper which gives me a solid even feel when tamping.
Best of luck with the tamper btw :D
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Sponsor

#6: Post by Cafelatstore (original poster) »

Bob_McBob wrote:I would strongly consider offering a shipping option cheaper than EMS, like registered air mail.
We are still checking this, and will have something better come January.

Sponsor

#7: Post by Cafelatstore (original poster) »

redbone wrote:Hi, I like many aspects of your tamper including the slightly larger then 58mm option, but to be frank find your price high considering I can get a Espro calibrated tamper for less.
I know that you mention light weight but I prefer the heavy weight of a tamper which gives me a solid even feel when tamping.
Best of luck with the tamper btw :D
Thanks and valid comments. The price reflects the choice of materials and the labour involved. All machining is done by me using manual machines. We could have just made the entire thing on a CNC lathe and be done with it, but I wanted to try and use new methods and give it a certain hand made individual characteristic that you don't get from CNC.

Light weight may be a bit misleading, it's 370g which is the same as a solid steel base and wooden handle. Light weight refers to the fact that if it was solid steel it would be double that, over 700g, but because we cast it we can get it down to a decent weight.

I'll see what we can do for special offers in the new year.

Paul

Advertisement
JonR10

#8: Post by JonR10 »

Hi Paul,
The tamper looks awesome. I may need to add one to my collection! :D

Cheers,
Jon
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

You do have some nice ones :)
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Mayhem »

Considering treating myself to one of these, but the 58.35 mm version is listed as out of stock. Any idea when they'll be available again?

Also more info on that sweet new portafilter please! Release date, pricing, filter basket compatibilty (will a triple fit with the diffuser plate still on?), group compatibility (La Marzocco, E61, Rancilio?), etc. I take for granted that it should fit LM groups perfectly at least so my Linea should be set :D

Love all your accessories really, have a set of six each espresso and cappuccino cups, two pillar tampers, classic knockbox, tamper stand and mat. The only part I've had durability issues with is the tamping stand, I see you have replacement rubbers available so might be time to get me one of those...
Too much is not enough