Zacconi vintage groups - Riviera Eagle - piston seals - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
crazy4espresso (original poster)

#11: Post by crazy4espresso (original poster) »

Bad news. Just called Christopher Cara. There is indeed a 3rd size for the really old machines which he does not have and is trying to source. Hopefully he might have a solution soon. Never thought seals for this machine would be unobtanium.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

grog

#12: Post by grog »

My Sama Export has the older two-seal setup on the piston with a u-cup and a w seal (newer versions have three, all u-cups). When re-inserting the piston into the group, I use a bamboo skewer to carefully get the edge of the seal started all the way around, much as the method for mounting a tire on a rim. Is the size difference such that this approach would work, or is the seal considerably larger than the group bore and there's just no way?
LMWDP #514

five and dime

#13: Post by five and dime »

I doubt there was a third version as it looks like the casting is the same. Maybe check with Joe over at good coffee company too. But, based on the photo, those seals are interchangeable with PV/Sama seals. They are a tight fit and even soaking in hot water will require knuckle busting effort to seat right. I would also check to make sure someone didn't wrap yards of teflon tape around the piston just under the original seals. I've been surprised what can be lurking underneath a bunch of gunky old seals. Good luck!
Lane Brookshire

#14: Post by crazy4espresso (original poster) »

Never say die!!!

There is no way these seals will fit without some modification. Christopher seemed very familiar with these and said no! However I took a dremel and went to work taking some material out of the inside and beveled a bit of the top side outer edge (not the lip). I have a very tight seal that slides smoothly up and down. I'll modify the other two seals and hopefully be able to test the machine tomorrow. There is hope still!

LMWDP #427

#15: Post by crazy4espresso (original poster) »

Modified seals are in. The machine built pressure very quickly with no leaks evident. The old seals never allowed this and water just kept gushing out of the group. Pretty decent dispersion but will it make espresso? Next I've got to modify a gasket for the portafilter to group seal as none are available. More to follow.
LMWDP #427

RioCruz

#16: Post by RioCruz »

crazy4espresso wrote: Pretty decent dispersion but will it make espresso?
Yes! It will make exceptionally yummy shots...but not big shots. Under an ounce of juice.

I prefer to use the single basket with 7 gms. of coffee...one pull of the lever. Very nuanced and layered shots. Dessert shots.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

#17: Post by crazy4espresso (original poster) »

It works! I'll have to test with fresh coffee next time but looks very promising!

LMWDP #427

nuanced

#18: Post by nuanced »

... ZACCONI / RIVIERA parts in GERMANY ....... COFFEEMAKER-SPARE PARTS has piston seals and assortment of repair/restoration parts in stock ,,,,,,, piston seals stocked are for ESPRESSO BABY / BABY BIG / and RIVIERA ........

grog

#19: Post by grog »

Awesome! This appears to be the spring lever version, correct?
LMWDP #514

nuanced

#20: Post by nuanced »

\\
.... don't know for sure , but suspect both use the same seals ,,,, BABY BIG is spring ........... little guy , ZACCONI BABY is no spring assist ........