Which basket for my Astoria Lever?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bodka Coffee

#1: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I need a new basket for my Astoria lever and I don't know what to get. I was using the basket from my La Era Cuadra but I sold that machine and the baskets went with it. I looked at VST baskets but I don't know if I need a ridged or ridgeless or what size to get...

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Levers have a lot of punch, and use a much finer grind level than pump machines, since they have no flow restriction between the power source and the puck. IMO, this makes VST baskets, which require a finer grind for a given dose a bad choice; you'll be grinding at Turkish levels for a lever machine. I would use a regular Faema or Cimbali style basket. These are designed for a properly extracting fine grind at 15 grams in pump machines, and will work at the same grind at 17 to 18 grams for the lever.
Jim Schulman

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

another_jim wrote:Levers have a lot of punch
Hi Jim,

That's a first I read that...Is that true for all levers, or only the Strega? The 'punch' could be explained by a slower pressure ramp up (maybe due to fines migration) on the Strega - aka the vibe pump. On most other commercial levers, the flow rate is almost instantenous/infinity and pressure build up is instant. I didn't notice having to move significantly finer on the lever, but I have not done a head-to-head comparison either so can't say for sure..

I personally like the 'Synesso' 14g ridgeless basket for its ability to knock out clean. VST seems fussy for the debatable improvement in the cup. :P Astoria lever takes 58mm baskets so any 58mm will most likely fit.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

samuellaw178 wrote:That's a first I read that...Is that true for all levers, or only the Strega? The 'punch' could be explained by a slower pressure ramp up (maybe due to fines migration) on the Strega
Good point, and it's what I thought. But other lever users, with sippers or plumbed HX ones, say they have experienced the same thing.
Jim Schulman