What size generator for mobile Astoria AL-1?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sponger

#1: Post by sponger »

Hi guys,

Im a mobile barista, using a gas powered single group Astoria AL-1 espresso machine out of the back of my little Suzuki Carry here in Ireland. I serve pretty good coffee, so good infact that my little gas powered gem can no longer keep up with demand and I need to figure out a way of getting more power - I need to buy a generator. Im looking at suitcase silent types (so they can still fit in my van) can anyone recommend a size for to me. All Ill be running is the AL-1 (2000W required) and the grinder, nothing else. Ive hooked it up to a Kipur 2600, just to see would it be adequate, and not a hope, the gennie could not match demand.

Any info appreciated!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Consult with a dealer of Honda generators.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
zubinpatrick

#3: Post by zubinpatrick »

+1 Randy. Honda makes the quietest small gens I know of but $$. Also beware...many companies post the max surge watts the gen makes instead of continuous. ie, 2600 instead of 2000

allon

#4: Post by allon »

This seems wrong to me.
What's the limiting factor here? Are you pulling drinks so fast that the boiler refill cools too much or is it a steaming issue? I thought gas was pretty good at heating, or is it not?
You could go a hybrid route and run half the heating element plus gas. This way the gas would keep you idling and the heating element would kick in only when you needed a boost. Strapping the element for reduced power would reduce the size of generator needed.

If you're pulling shots so fast how is the group not overheating?
How about an AL-2?
If the problem is steaming then you could keep the machine on gas and use a small electric steamer.

Man, I'd love to have a gas kit for my single group CMA lever.
Other than not keeping up, how has it worked out?
LMWDP #331

skydragondave

#5: Post by skydragondave »

The Astoria website indicates that all gas-powered units are not UL/NSF listed for commercial use. How does one get away with using a gas-powered unit commercially without these listings?
LMWDP #433

allon

#6: Post by allon »

UL/NSF are not requirements in the whole world. It could be that Ireland has different requirements.
LMWDP #331

zubinpatrick

#7: Post by zubinpatrick »

The thread seems dead but I would like to add that I have come across a number of gas machines that are not getting hot enough....I believe it is more of an adjustment problem than anything else. No reason a gas burner should have problems putting out the BTUs required. What needs to be remembered is it is not all about volume of fuel, but more appropriate the gas/air mix for optimum burn. This will increase heat and efficiency.