Vintage Zacconi Riviera water temperature

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

I recently took ownership of a Zacconi Riviera Eagle chrome edition. Seals replaced along with some lubing etc.

I get VG steam from the wand. Temperature gauge is a little off slightly above zero at rest but easily compensated.
As a routine I turn on machine until gauge is well into the green area. Let off residual steam build up by opening steam wand and let temp resettle.
Even after extensive flushing I'm not able to receive the desired temp of water at screen or in cup. I used a thermopen which gives me VG reading results. Have timed my shots. Changed grind settings extensively. Used different beans. Tried fellini pulls. Shots are bitter and not hot.
Machine is hot to the touch but seldom hot at the heated cup.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

RioCruz

#2: Post by RioCruz »

Have you checked the heating element and tank for scale buildup?
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

redbone (original poster)

#3: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to RioCruz »

The heating element and tank were in good condition at a recent maintenance.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

Even after extensive flushing I'm not able to receive the desired temp of water at screen or in cup.
What temperature are you reading, and what is the desired temperature? What is the pressure gauge reading? Is this the spring-lever Riviera with the 45-mm group? If so, they are very effective heat sinks, and may brew cooler than other small home levers.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

Oh, and when you flush without a PF do you get a vigorous spray? If not perhaps the group-boiler connection tube is scaled.
LMWDP #049

#6: Post by redbone (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:What temperature are you reading, and what is the desired temperature? What is the pressure gauge reading? Is this the spring-lever Riviera with the 45-mm group? If so, they are very effective heat sinks, and may brew cooler than other small home levers.
The Riviera Eagle is the spring lever type. Mine is the older one with the 45mm group. I get anywhere from high 170's to low 180's at cup.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

The hottest water I got from my Export the other day in a cup was about 185 F. At that temp the outside of the group was 197 F so the brew temp was just right for N.Italian espresso, around 200 F.

What is the pressure gauge reading?

With my PV I get bitter shots when I brew too hot - I think too cold is usually sour?

PC
LMWDP #049

#8: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to peacecup »

The gauge is reading into the upper green zone.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

HoldTheOnions

#9: Post by HoldTheOnions »

If tasting too bitter, lowering temp should help regardless of the readings. It could be your machine was knocked around and pressure gauge is off, but I would only think that conclusion would only be supported if your coffee was sour. I would recommend lowering temp to middle of green or so and use it for a couple days to see how it compares before raising it.

#10: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to HoldTheOnions »

The gauge is off slightly reading above zero at cold. Would be nice to control the temp vs pressurestat but wonder if that would take away from the machine.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549