VAM Caravel: mind blown

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redpig

#1: Post by redpig »

After reading all the threads and convincing myself I didn't need to, I picked up an absolutely stunning VAM Caravel (early run) from a Caravelista here in the US. It came with everything I could possibly want: PF, two (single, double) baskets, original bakelite, beautifully kept, 160v 600w element that works happily, and OE seals.

After swapping out the three prong Italian standard plug with an extra 15a plug, I had the chance to pull one shot tonight. It took exactly 20 minutes to reach 200 on my ... meat thermometer with cold water from the tap:

I didn't try to get the thermostat working, instead I just prepped the shot when it hit 200. Once ready, I pulled out the thermometer, closed the lid, and unplugged it. I used the active preinfusion and two pulls with a fully loaded basket. I used the same grind setting that I use on my Londinium.

I didn't get a pure crema shot, but the taste... It was a perfect chocolate ristretto:

I was lucky to get a tasty shot on the first attempt, and I'm looking forward to getting to better know the machine and its amazing ristrettos. On the whole, I can't but echo the same sentiment that's been said before. The build quality is phenomenal and the design, genius. If the paint weren't looking .... dated and worn, there'd be no indication that this machine has seen the years it has.
LMWDP #411

doubleOsoul

#2: Post by doubleOsoul »

Two Baskets? You did good and it looks to be have been well loved. When I brought mine to the last HB shootout, I think the itty bitty shot with the big taste kinda fooled a few.

peacecup

#3: Post by peacecup »

Better the mind than the heating element. One can still taste espresso with the former, but Caravel elements are hard to come by. And don't lose the portafilter!

It's on the other end of the home lever design spectrum from the L1, but perhaps the perfect companion for it. I'd like to see a side-by-side photo of them!

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

sorrentinacoffee

#4: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

the paint is awesome- it has 'patina'

repeat this mantra every time you think worry about a mark... I think the machines age well.

try dosing the basket right to the top with a medium/fine grind. You want a fair amount of resistace in the shot- but you don't need to strain the machine at all either... And make a few little jiggles at the top of the lever movement to fill the chamber. Try a small fellini maneuver to make a longer shot.

redpig (original poster)

#5: Post by redpig (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:Better the mind than the heating element.One can still taste espresso with the former, but Caravel elements are hard to come by. And don't lose the portafilter!
Agreed! What I thought was interesting is that while the sticker says 600W/220V, the imprint on the element says 600W/160V. Since my heat up time from cool tap water was only 20 min compared to other reports of 40+ on a 110 outlet, I'm curious if the later elements were true 220.
peacecup wrote:It's on the other end of the home lever design spectrum from the L1, but perhaps the perfect companion for it.
I think they make a nice pair so far. Big shots and milk on the L1; perfect ristrettos on the Caravel.
peacecup wrote:I'd like to see a side-by-side photo of them!
That top picture shows the corner of the L1. It's not living right next to it, but I'll carry it back over this evening and snap a picture!
sorrentinacoffee wrote:the paint is awesome- it has 'patina'

repeat this mantra every time you think worry about a mark...
There's a very real chance I will be getting it powedercoated in the future. The balance between preservation and maintenance, etc.
sorrentinacoffee wrote:I think the machines age well.

try dosing the basket right to the top with a medium/fine grind. You want a fair amount of resistace in the shot- but you don't need to strain the machine at all either... And make a few little jiggles at the top of the lever movement to fill the chamber. Try a small fellini maneuver to make a longer shot.
This machine ages amazingly well! I'll try jiggling. I filled to the top, tapped, filled a bit more, then tamped lightly, and pulled until drops, then took it back up and pulled to the end (~40s?) then went back for one more :) I couldn't believe how delicious it was given the total newbie-ness of my approach.

I also really loved taking it apart to clean it. The piston removal by twisting the top lock, the button to pop out the boiler. I'm not sure I've ever used a device, much less a home appliance, that has been designed so comprehensively.
LMWDP #411

redpig (original poster)

#6: Post by redpig (original poster) »

For fun, I just pulled a shot following the manual that Doug and Barb graciously host. It didn't have many surprises, except one! Getting a dry puck through repeated half-pumps. It took a few tries to figure out how far to lift, but once I realized where half was, I just pumped it until the feeling/sound changed. Pulled off the PF and that was that:

And here's the puck:

[[ It was 9.5 grams (Daterra Sweet Blue). That filled the basket without tapping and packing more in. ]]

I pulled a shot on the L1 a little later, and tiny pumps also works well there for drying out a sloppier puck. No idea if it makes the disp screen or bottom of the piston dirtier faster.
LMWDP #411

danetrainer

#7: Post by danetrainer »

Fantastic Vam you found there Will! I feel relieved since you had bid on that yellow Caravel I won. It arrived on Wednesday...I will be posting up pics and details of what a "mind blowing" machine it turned out to be. No portafilter or basket of course, so we need to get Martin to step up production of that bottomless for them!

redpig (original poster)

#8: Post by redpig (original poster) »

danetrainer wrote:Fantastic Vam you found there Will! I feel relieved since you had bid on that yellow Caravel I won.
Thanks! I can't wait to see that yellow one in action!
danetrainer wrote:It arrived on Wednesday...I will be posting up pics and details of what a "mind blowing" machine it turned out to be. No portafilter or basket of course, so we need to get Martin to step up production of that bottomless for them!
FWIW, I have some potential leads on a temporary portafilter replacement (paired with the La Peppina basket OE sells) - I'll PM if anything materializes! I really hope you're as impressed as I am. The attention to detail is just phenomenal to me.
LMWDP #411

arcus

#9: Post by arcus »

Great 1st attempt! Love the machine.

danetrainer

#10: Post by danetrainer »

I am just as amazed, first the machine is a work of art, second it is an engineering marvel especially considering the era it was developed. The simplicity of assembly/diss-assembly without tools, stainless steel boiler with external heating element, piston articulation/design, it is truly a marvel! The first shots you pulled is a testament to the simplicity and superior design the Caravel is.