Used Olympia Cremina sold on eBay for $1370

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gunman45

#1: Post by gunman45 »

Wow, glad I got mine when I did..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171989679837

grog

#2: Post by grog »

There have been others sold in the past couple of months for $600 or less. I think this was a particularly clean example that looks to be in excellent condition, so it commanded a premium. Also we're getting into the holiday season when prices spike on eBay...
LMWDP #514

forbeskm

#3: Post by forbeskm »

Agreed, not many creminas out there at this point. Good time to unload one of you have one collecting dust. I picked one up this summer for 600 though I saw one go in the fives. Not a good time to be on eBay unless you are a seller.

Historically I remember the past few years Creminas going in the thousands regularly.

weebit_nutty

#4: Post by weebit_nutty »

yup :) I'll be ebaying most of my equipment this holiday season, including my Creminas and Liviettas. As much as I love them, I've moved on to mostly PO brews for my morning starter, and the mini has taken full responsibility for any and all espresso service.

I haven't a clue how much they will fetch but I'm certain at least as much as I paid for them. From what I've seen, they've retained their value, and even the ones that looked in terrible condition and/or had missing components (pf, drip tray, etc) still sold (off season) for surprising amounts.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

gunman45 (original poster)

#5: Post by gunman45 (original poster) »

forbeskm wrote:Agreed, not many creminas out there at this point. Good time to unload one of you have one collecting dust. I picked one up this summer for 600 though I saw one go in the fives. Not a good time to be on eBay unless you are a seller.

Historically I remember the past few years Creminas going in the thousands regularly.

I guess you are right, I, like you paid half that for one in good condition from 1990 and I see they are averaging $8-900...

I wonder what my NOS Atomic would go for??? Nah...
------------------------------------------------------------
Larry - LMWDP #536

CoffeeBar

#6: Post by CoffeeBar »

Congratulations Larry :D

doubleOsoul

#7: Post by doubleOsoul »

grog wrote:There have been others sold in the past couple of months for $600 or less. I think this was a particularly clean example that looks to be in excellent condition, so it commanded a premium. Also we're getting into the holiday season when prices spike on eBay...
I didn't think that little dip was going to last. The Cremina is too good a lever to stay in the $600 mark. Not selling but I can't help wonder what mine would go for with all the original accessories.

forbeskm

#8: Post by forbeskm »

weebit_nutty wrote:yup :) I'll be ebaying most of my equipment this holiday season, including my Creminas and Liviettas. As much as I love them, I've moved on to mostly PO brews for my morning starter, and the mini has taken full responsibility for any and all espresso service.

I haven't a clue how much they will fetch but I'm certain at least as much as I paid for them. From what I've seen, they've retained their value, and even the ones that looked in terrible condition and/or had missing components (pf, drip tray, etc) still sold (off season) for surprising amounts.
Might consider the for sale section and skip out on the eBay fee, leaving you with just PayPal. Nov/dec everything goes high usually though, and no creminas are up as of late (I have a daily search for those and pavoni's).

It seems like the nespresso has made a dent in demand for classic levers.

Rtockstein

#9: Post by Rtockstein »

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and espresso making. I'm the buyer of that cremina! I've loved coffee since 3rd grade, and just recently found out how amazing it can be. I've become obsessed and started selling various items to buy coffee equipment;) I just recently bought a huky roaster also. I was giving myself a limit of $1000 for that cremina, but got too excited about it's nice condition and the fact that these guys now sell new for $3500. So, I lost my @ss a bit and feel silly, but still excited to get it.

Anyway I had a question or two:

What items might I purchase for this? I've read quite a bit about various things that have been offered by OE, but some of them are no longer available. This is a 1992 model, so I figured I'd need the heat break gasket (purchase somewhere or should I build it?).

Should I go ahead and order a rebuild gasket set?

Any particular PF or filter basket I should get to use instead of the stock?

Suggestions or links to an area for a pressure measuring solutions for calibration? I've read about this but there doesn't seem to be any cheap and easy solution that I've found.

I've currently got the hario slim... I've read elsewhere it will do for espresso. I've yet to do more research on good grinders and need to sell something else to afford a good one!

Thanks for any and a help!!

Ryan
LMWDP #539

grog

#10: Post by grog »

The OEM group to boiler seal sold by Cerini's acts as a heat break gasket. You will want a 49mm tamper and if you get that from OE, might as well get their seal and gasket set too. Espresso Care has the Elektra MCaL double baskets for a great price, if you want something that has a slightly larger capacity than the OEM double (18g vs 14g).

I would look into upgrading your grinder. You have an outstanding home lever and you may be disappointed in the results from your Hario Slim.
LMWDP #514