Used La Pavoni Europiccola won't heat enough to brew

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sawgolf4me

#1: Post by sawgolf4me »

Long time Chemex coffee drinker and now I am looking to try my hand at espresso brewing. I just got a old Europiccola. Judging by what I've read, it looks like it is a 79 or 80. I am trying to decide whether to keep it and restore it, or send it back. The listing said it worked fine, but it only works on the low heating method. It heats the water on the low method, but not enough to brew anything. I am trying to figure out if it is a burned out element or something in the wiring/switch. It has the fuse that is inside the little ring in boiler baseplate.

Is the fuse for both heating elements? Is it only for the high one? Anyhow, I guess I am trying to figure out if the fuse is the reason the high heat element isn't working.

I'm pretty sure the wiring has never been replaced/fixed/cleaned. So it very well could be that.

Thanks!
Steve

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

If its the fine thread screw on element and its not the wiring, you can send it back or send it to Hungary to get the element replaced. Other option is a retrofit of a newer element coil (not the easiest).

I am guessing send it back unless you got such a steal, Gabor is around 100 I am guessing with shipping and then a month or so.

If its a newer element, not fine thread, should be new one available but I think 79 is still old, you can send a picture of the bottom of the element. Try to see if it exploded in the tank as well

Check the fuse, the element, and the switch. Take a picture before disconnecting anything

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

Check to see if the heating element be the screw on type, or the flange mounted one. I think 1978 was the last year? with the screw on type. The flange mounted ones can be obtained from several vendors. The place in Hungary might be the best option for the screw on type, though it is possible to convert. Newer elements are made of stainless steel, older ones of copper. They tend to burn out from allowing too much scale to accumulate or from allowing them to run dry.

You should evaluate the rest of the machine too. Check for corrosion and wear.