Used La Pavoni Europiccola with problems, help!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
desertcup

#1: Post by desertcup »

Hello, everyone!

Just recently thrifted this La Pavoni and joined the site. I've watched many videos on how to use properly before attempting myself. The espresso machine has definitely had a lot of use from the looks of it. Anyway, upon turning it on and waiting for it to heat, I keep running into the same problem - pressure seems to hover around .5 and will not increase. It does start at 0 and I watch as it climbs to .1, .2, and eventually .5 ...and then it just stays there. I've attached photos to show which model I found and where I noticed a minor leak. Hoping it's a relatively common and easy fix because I honestly am not familiar with these. Open to learning, so please feel free to share! I greatly appreciate it.

Amber

THE PHOTOS:

Thanks again!

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#2: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Hi Amber! Do you mean that you scored the machine at a thrift shop? NICE.
I wonder if the leak can be stopped with a little bit of tightening that but perhaps? Also it appears that your machine would have a pressure switch underneath the base, you'll need to remove the base and have a look. There are several different types in use. See if you can get to it and post a few more pics of the underside.
Good luck
Tom
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

That leak is easily tightened and is just an adjustment really. I'd also be interested in seeing what's going on inside the base.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

I was a bit puzzled by the image. The switch and boiler look like the Professional model. The switch appears to be the Green professional one, and the diameter of the boiler seems much too great for an Europiccola. As a previous post said, the steam valve seal nut probably merely needs to be tightened a bit. It is fairly easy to change the seal if it be deteriorated. The low pressure is likely due to the pressurestat being set too low unless you have severe steam leakage.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

There can be severe steam leakage underneath the machine, inside the base. This can be easily inspected by removing the base plate when the machine is powered off and cool and seeing if there is any rust or scale deposit. It's rare the PSTAT is set too low since when they are scaled the pressure goes too high. Of course someone could have fiddled with it before giving it to the thrift store.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

desertcup (original poster)

#6: Post by desertcup (original poster) »

Thank you all so much for your help! Sorry it took me a while to get a pic. I had to wait until the weekend to pick up a torx screwdriver. Here are the photos of the inside base.

I can easily take more photos if necessary. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Amber

desertcup (original poster)

#7: Post by desertcup (original poster) »

Also, I forgot to add - I didn't title it Europiccola. It does have a green side button like the professional. Hope that helps!

Thanks!