Urania Parts Questions

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
arcus

#1: Post by arcus »

The itty bitty drain cup on my Urania is way too small and I would like to replace it with a drain box so I can flush the group w/o worrying about overflowing the drain cup. Has anyone done this before and, if so, what replacement did they use? It looks like the one Paul Pratt sells should work.

Also, does anyone in North America sell the Velox boiler gasket (#520856)? If not, where is the best place to source it?

Thanks in advance!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

How deep is that drain cup??
LMWDP 267

arcus (original poster)

#3: Post by arcus (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

The cup itself is approx. 1/2" deep.

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

Regarding the boiler gasket, I've had luck from Heritage Parts sourcing odd items like that, you have to call them though, their website is basically unusable.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

arcus wrote:The cup itself is approx. 1/2" deep.
That is shallow! Bosco cup measures 3" wide by just under 2" deep. What's the deepest cup that will fit?
LMWDP 267

arcus (original poster)

#6: Post by arcus (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

The max. depth would be 2". The frame support starts at 1 3/4" from the top of the cup and the cup itself is 2 5/16" wide.

leverlover

#7: Post by leverlover »

Are you sure the drain cup is not (partially) blocked? I never had an issue with the same drain cup on a 2-group Urania, also not when flushing the groups.
May be it will help if you turn the "outlet" (the angled connection with the drain tube attached) to a 8 or 7 o'clock position.

You can ask Paul Prat the dimensions of the drain box he sells (for E61, President etc.) to check if it will fit.

arcus (original poster)

#8: Post by arcus (original poster) replying to leverlover »

In my case, I decided not to drill a hole in the new quartz countertop so I don't have the ideal drain set-up. I think a larger drain box might fix the occasional overflow.

zeb

#9: Post by zeb »

I find it surprising that you can't clean the shower screen without overflowing the drain box. You don't need so much water ? I am the same opinion than leverlover, something's wrong with it, but not its size. It's enough on all the other machines :?

Are you looking for the oring boiler gasket of a Velox ? It is f..471 at Ascaso, any reseller can know his own reference with this one ;)

arcus (original poster)

#10: Post by arcus (original poster) »

zeb wrote:I find it surprising that you can't clean the shower screen without overflowing the drain box. You don't need so much water ? I am the same opinion than leverlover, something's wrong with it, but not its size. It's enough on all the other machines :?
I guess I didn't explain my situation clearly. I can not drill a hole in the kitchen counter which means the water needs to follow a less direct path so it flows out more slowly and the little cup will overflow if I'm not very careful. I'm not using much water so I believe a larger drain box would fix my issue.

Perhaps I should just keep a plastic bowl handy and stick it under the group and avoid the whole stupid problem.