Total bummer: La Peppina won't heat up

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zforest

#1: Post by zforest »

I pulled some shots this morning but this afternoon my La Peppina wouldn't heat up. It's plugged into an Auber PID temp controller, but I tried plugging the Peppina directly into the wall but it still wouldn't heat up. It was never run dry.

The first possibility seems like the power cord, but I have no real way of testing that, or replacing it if it is indeed the problem.

The second likely culprit is the heating element. How can I tell if my heating element is dead?

My Peppina has been serving me quite well and I was just breaking in some Redline. I have no backup machine (that works) and am in dire need of coffee right now.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#2: Post by orphanespresso »

This tutorial may help you test your element:
http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-a ... 620-1.html
Barb

Advertisement
Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

If you fill the La Peppina with a kettle, the Auber PID can still function as a thermometer. This should keep you caffeinated until you fix the problem.

Replacing the element is a bitch. Ask anyone who's ever done that. It is important you make a well fitting tool. Which is a bitch because you can't really judge the fit if the nut is in place.
My tool fitted quite good. It was made from steel smelted above the fires of a thousand ethiopian heirloom arabica plants, forged by naked virgins that suffered terrible burns because they didn't wear anything and was subsequently destroyed by a villainous Fleming. The virgins were quite upset. As were the ethiopian farmers.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I had reasonable luck on one peppina with just a pair of needle-nose pliers, but another wouldn't move no matter what. I remember seeing a tool just for the purpose somewhere, perhaps you could find that, and I think OE has a 110V element. You could also get an immersion heater in the interm. They run around $7. I used one to supplement the power at 110V before I found a suitable transformer with great results.
LMWDP #366

zforest (original poster)

#5: Post by zforest (original poster) »

Thanks folks. I think I will try an immersion heater in the meantime. Do you think a cheap one could be plugged into the Auber PID instead of the Peppina so I could still benefit from my temp controller?

I'd like to get a look at the heating element and perhaps even take it out. My first hurdle is getting the kettle off. I thought the center rod could just be twisted CCW, but mine's not budging (even using the hole as an aid). Perhaps a small amount of scale is keeping it in place? Or am I going about removing the kettle the wrong way? Is there a way to descale the peppina in situ?-- I had read that descalers would hurt the enamel on the inside of the kettle?

Thanks Barb, I will try testing the element with your tips there. So can I just test it in place?-- just by testing on the two prongs that come out the back of the Peppina from the heating element?

pacificmanitou

#6: Post by pacificmanitou »

I've used a cheap descaler from Walmart with no ill effects. I would imagine you could use your PID with an immersion heater, they are just 300W elements on a cord, mechanically they work no different than the built in element. I would assume it will just warm up slower since you're running about half the voltage.
LMWDP #366

Seacoffee

#7: Post by Seacoffee »

Yes you can test the element while it is in situ.

Advertisement
beer&mathematics

#8: Post by beer&mathematics »

Just the info I was looking for. I just got La Peppina and finished cleaning it and changing the seals (although the rubber gaskets were still in good condition..kept them as backup). I forgot to buy a transformer so I have no way to turn-it on. But can I just boil water in a kettle and pour it in? Has anyone tried it this way with decent results? This is temporary until I get a transformer.

Although, Brandon's idea seems way cheaper, ie buy an immersion heater.
LMWDP #431

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner »

Just get yourself a plug adapter, then start with boiling water. Your machine will be able to keep it up to temp without a problem on 110v. That is how I run my La Peppina and Caravel.
Scott
LMWDP #248

pacificmanitou

#10: Post by pacificmanitou »

it stays at temp pretty well, true, but its sort of hard to get there. I had much more luck with an immersion heater.
LMWDP #366