Temperature strip range

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Locopavoni

#1: Post by Locopavoni »

Hi,
I have been doing a big of googling and searching previous topics. I can't seem to find a single temperature strip with a range suitable for the la Pavoni. All the strips that I have been able to find start and end at 90c. I know I could get both to cover the range but I am ideally after one with a range from say 85-98c. Does anyone know if a temperature strip is made with a suitable range?
LMWDP #537

rpavlis

#2: Post by rpavlis »

I personally would just forget temperature strips. You can put a piece of tape on areas you want to read and use an inexpensive IR thermometer. Remember you cannot read metallic surfaces, though you can read most polymer coated surfaces without even putting on tape. You need to test emissivity, the thermometers have emissivity correction. My 1999 real brass model works well without any tape. My MCAL polymer coating requires a correction. My 1963 chrome plated one hardly reads at all without a piece of tape. The nicest thing about the IR thermometers is that you can measure any place easily, but you do need to calibrate many surfaces and adjust for emissivity.

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

FWIW, I have used thermometers, including thermocouple strapped to the group and a thermapen. I haven't tried an infrared though. I do fine with the use of temp strips but I know this is a minority opinion on this forum. Once you get used to reading the subtle color changes you have better than the 5C precision they appear to provide. I started out using two strips: 60C - 90C and 90C - 120C on my Pavoni, but have quit bothering with the higher temp ones. I now only focus on the color changes of the 85C and 90C indicators and always start with a coolish group that I bring up to temp right before pulling a shot.

Stefano's espressocare is one place where you can buy them. You need good lighting and when they get old they don't work as well.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Locopavoni (original poster)

#4: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Thanks for thoughts,

Due to pulling multiple shots I am generally more concerned with getting the temp back down to workable. So the range of late 80c and mid 90c is the 'sweet spot' I am after (assuming the temp strip is consistent with the extraction).

Regarding the strips or a thermometer I am ideally wanting to try to not interfere with the athetics of the machine too much. A thought is possibly cutting the strips down and placing them behind the group head so it is reasonably inconspicuous.
Do you think that they will still work if cut down in this way?
LMWDP #537

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

Locopavoni wrote: A thought is possibly cutting the strips down and placing them behind the group head so it is reasonably inconspicuous.
Do you think that they will still work if cut down in this way?
I believe they would, and it will only cost a few bucks to give it a try. You may need a strong penlight and maybe a mirror to see it.

Robert's suggestion to use an IR thermometer (and a patch of tape if you have a chrome group) also seems like a good solution for keeping the aesthetics clean. I need to buy an IR thermometer and try that someday.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I'm with homeburrero on this, I started with the high temp strip on my Gaggia Factory before I knew about the low temp strips. My desired readings were always below the first square so when I learned about the low temp strips I bought the minimum quantity from the supplier and farmed the extras out. If I had it to do over again, I'd just go with the low temp strip. I also outfitted my factory with a digital thermometer head that Dr. Gary gave me with the thermocouple junction tucked under a group gasket around the group for more accurate readings.

When I got the Faema Faemina, I went away from all the thermometry and kept it stock without adding any strips or thermometers. It's easier to use as it's set for 0.3 bars on the low setting and pretty temp stable; as long as I follow a certain routine I'm in the right ballpark for great shots.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Locopavoni (original poster)

#7: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

As an interim I have used a digital thermometer and have been very surprised by the results.
Aesthetically it's not great, held in place with hair bands, but it does the job.
The temp of the group head seems to get to about 102c very quickly after purging the air for a first shot. Will try the thermometer in boiling water just to test accuracy, but it seems like my my Pavoni is running a little hot. Bit of a pain considering I got a new thermostat last year, so hoping it won't be too hard to adjust it down.
LMWDP #537