Temperature shutoff problem on old La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bfairless

#1: Post by Bfairless »

I have an old La Pavoni Europiccola. I have been using it for about 18 months after picking it up at a yard sale. It has always shut itself off after making about 2 cups, but now won't even stay on enough to make one cup. The rest is in good working order. Maybe it is a temperature shutoff? How can I fix? Thanks. Bruce in Lincoln MA

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Bfairless wrote:Maybe it is a temperature shutoff? How can I fix?
Likely a defective protective thermal fuse or switch. See http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... to_eng.htm

Hard to say much more without knowing which Europiccola you have there.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

day

#3: Post by day »

Def sounds like thermofuse going bad, they can have a variety of symptoms. Takes like 45 seconds to bypass it and see if that fixes the problem then decide if you want to replace it. If that's not it though someone here will help no doubt!
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

hankbates

#4: Post by hankbates »

It would be good to know which model you have, specifically whether it has a single switch or some kind of double switch.
A single switch machine has a pressurestat which can also give flaky operation, particularly if its connecting tube is clogged with scale.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

Bfairless (original poster)

#5: Post by Bfairless (original poster) »

Hey, thanks a zillion for the link. I have scheme 2. I got out my trusty soldering iron and removed the thermostat. Now it works like a charm. I just need to make sure not to let it run dry. Again, thanks so much for the feedback. Bruce

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Might as well replace the thermal safety switch. These don't have a temperature shutoff.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

day

#7: Post by day »

@bfairless, why did you need a soldering iron? I have the same scheme and just moved the wires around and bagged the extra one.

@drgary, where and what type nod thermofuse replacement would you suggest looking at for scheme2?

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

day wrote:@drgary, where and what type nod thermofuse replacement would you suggest looking at for scheme2?
I don't know the specifics on that. If you show us a photo of what you had we'll be better able to identify it. The second generation comprises a lot of machines with many changes over the years.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

day

#9: Post by day »

Here she is. Just as the OP, I have since bypassed the Thermofuse. I just unplugged it and took the wire from the power to the element per the instructions of the king of all things Pavoni. It would be good to have the thermofuse though, as there is so much going on with temperature regulating, dosing, static, etc that I can imagine at some point in the future running it with guest over and possibly making a mistake-not realizing how low I had gone. I don't expect to, but it is possible, so a little insurance would be a great thing. I really am loving this Pavoni, the Gaggia Classic had slowly drained me of my love for espresso over the last 5 years, but the lever is exactly what i really wanted all that time, I just didnt know. Killing her element would be devastating :evil:

Anyway, like the OP, this particular one looks the same as schema two to my eye.

homeburrero
Team HB

#10: Post by homeburrero »

Brian, your machine does exactly match Francesco's schema 2. Let us know if you find a suitable replacement that fits into that round recess, but note that Francesco seems to be advising people with this fuse to just go back to the older style in a red sheath. He says it's 'easily found' - and is right - you can get that little fuse from Radio Shack (it's 128C, which works fine although Francesco's pictured one is 120C.)

Stefano sells an insulating sleeve, and you might want to contact him - he may be able to bundle up a sleeve, fuse, terminals, and soldering or crimping instruction for you. Note that once you have it all put together inside an insulating sleeve and ideally with 1/4" male spade connectors on the ends, you would bend one of the wires right near the fuse so that it doubles back against itself, then stuff it in that recess so that the fuse is in the recess.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h