A tale of two levers: 1960's Bo-ema single group - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Gustopher (original poster)

#11: Post by Gustopher (original poster) »

I've been a bit lax on the updates but the rebuild has been coming along nicely and is almost finished.

I needed to drill out and re tap the bolts that hold the group on, I faced the surface while I was at it.

For the break in the group hinge I first tried to braze in a small piece of brass and then cut it back to flush, but there was too little material for a strong join. After three attempts, each breaking along the join, I decided to mill off a much larger piece. Fit a larger piece of brass, drill tap and bolt it. Braze it and then cut back to match the original profile. I think it turned out well.

After that I just needed to cut a new boiler gasket and put it all back together.
And here it is! (sorry about the blurry phone pic)

I still have a small hissing leak around the boiler fill probe that needs addressing, and the manometer was broken so I've borrowed one from another build for the time being, but apart from that it's working great. I'll need a bit more fiddling around to get used to using a lever but the coffee has been pretty good so far.

Advertisement
DJF

#12: Post by DJF »

What a great job. Keep the updates coming. I wish I could do stuff like that but maybe not because the house would be overflowing with old machines.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

cuppajoe

#13: Post by cuppajoe »

Nice solution, and a nice bit of machine work. I take it you left the upper cap screw in recessed and filled the void?

Nice machine, looking forward to seeing her all gussied up. What's the function of those two black discs on the front of the tray? They look like rail car bumpers.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

#14: Post by Gustopher (original poster) »

Thanks! When I milling out the the area to attach the brass block too I couldn't mill too far back as there is a block of steel brazed into the bottom half of the bearing races. I wanted to make sure they stayed put when I brazed in the brass. So there wasn't enough material on the top join to recess the screw head so I silver brazed the screw in place with the brass block and cut the whole lot back with the mill and die grinder.

The knobs at the front are hot water on the left and manual boiler fill on the right.

cuppajoe

#15: Post by cuppajoe »

Sorry to drag this back from the grave, but wondering if you got it completed. Would like to see some pics of the finished project, and an idea of how it performs.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

The Naked Baker

#16: Post by The Naked Baker »

G'Day,

I love the great work you have done on this Reno .. You've really inspired me .

I am working on a 64 model 2 group boema lever .

I am wondering if you replaced the piston seals ?

I am having all sorts of trouble , I ordered replacements from Italy from astoria s local agents and they gave me the wrong seals and Boema are just totally uninterested in helping ..

I am going back to Boema but I just thought I might ask here first ?

Thanks for posting all the pics , they make my journey much easier

Dave

gor

#17: Post by gor »

Hi Dave

Do you have any pics? Maybe you should start your own thread.

I have a two group that I picked up in Sydney a few years ago. How did you get the model number as A3? Mine is needing a restoration and is missing a side panel.

Cheers

Advertisement

#18: Post by Gustopher (original poster) »

Heya naked baker

Luckily for me the seals were still nice and pliable, so I didn't need to replace them.
The machine has since gone on to machine technician friend of mine here in Melbourne and he has gone even further with the restoration. He finished it a few weeks ago and it's looking great.
I'll try and get a few pics next time I visit him. I'll query him about seals too, he's done a few Boema now.

The Naked Baker

#19: Post by The Naked Baker »

Thanks Gus ,

Again sorry just saw your reply just now .

I am really looking forward to seeing some pics .

Cheers

Dave

The Naked Baker

#20: Post by The Naked Baker »

Hi Gor ,

Thanks I have introduced myself in the lever section I guess I should start a thread . As a newbie I just didn't want to start starting new threads before I got to meet some of you guys .

Regarding the model member it's on the original Bo Ema sticker on the machine , it has their old Alexandria address on it too . But I haven't found out anything else of the progressions of their models as yet . If I do I will let you know .

Thanks for advice re starting a thread I will do that

Cheers

Dave