Suggestions for Orphan Cremina Temperature Strip Placement?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
UFGators

#1: Post by UFGators »

I have read from the threads that the temperature strips are not as ideal as say a electronic thermometer, but where should I place the strips? I have seen some suggest the side of the group because it's more accurate. Thanks in advance.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Put it right front center in the middle of the bell of the group so you can easily see it. Another nice option is to use a group gasket to hold a bare thermocouple wire from a cheap thermometer against the group. It will likely be more precise. See here where members walk you thru the how-to. It wont be any harder for a Cremina and it sounds like it only sets you back about $12.

Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

It makes no sense to put a temperature strip on a 1974-2000 group La Pavoni if you put it too high. The top of these groups when properly operating is equal to the boiler temperature. What you read less than that is caused by heat loss from the strip itself. It seems to me that the best place to read temperatures on these is on the part below the flare.

On the 1961-1973 and 2001 onward groups you probably are best off with the temperature strip near the middle of the group. The design and principle of operation of these is totally unlike the 1974-2000 group. (I once wrote an explanation of my interpretation of their very clever design that I gave to someone. It is written in Latex format, perhaps I should strip the latex commands and post it here?)

UFGators (original poster)

#4: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

What about on a cremina?

Phasor

#5: Post by Phasor »

rpavlis wrote:I once wrote an explanation of my interpretation of their very clever design that I gave to someone. It is written in Latex format, perhaps I should strip the latex commands and post it here?
Robert, I would certainly be interested in a perspective regarding how the earlier (and more recent) Pavoni groups are designed to work. Any insights into how my vintage europiccola works would be wonderful.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

UFGators wrote:What about on a cremina?
The Cremina group is similar to a pre-Millennium La Pavoni group. Placement of a thermometer sensor similarly to my thread on that will work. I learned this, after all, when AndyPanda brought over his Cremina with thermometer attached and we tested it against my Pavoni and Elektra MCAL.

Robert is right, lower on the group is good but it'll work fine if you place the probe above the flat part on the bottom. Here's where I've placed the probe on my per-M Pavoni. Remember they're very similar. In about two weeks when it's back and reassembled I'll have this set up on my Cremina.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

UFGators wrote:What about on a cremina?
This location, suggested to me by Merle (uscfroadie), gives a pretty accurate reading. I have a T/C attached to the rear right side of the group which I plug into my Fluke when I'm using the Cremina. The T/C responds faster & gives an exact temp but the strip is usually in the correct range.

LMWDP 267

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I forgot to make the point that as long as you're not high on the group, you'll get a good enough reading wherever your probe is located. (I don't advocate the strip.) As you get to know your machine you gain a sense of what temps best dial in which coffees.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

genecounts

#9: Post by genecounts »

I echo what Drgary said. In my case the temp strips were a waste of time.
Based on suggestions from HB got Eric's calibrated thermometer with thermistor for $21 and have been happy ever since.
Drgary says $11 from some source so even better although I would gladly pay $10 more to insure its calibrated.

Still have the temp strips from OE but the thermomister portion of the thermometer is mounted at the back of the group held in place with one of my daughters ponytail bands. Foolproof and a lifesaver for past two years since dialing in a new roast is confidently precise.

Since this thermometer added don't need OE's Third Shot addition to make more than two shots consecutive.

PM me here or genecounts at verizon dot net and I'll send a pic

Vc

#10: Post by Vc »

agree with recent posts...the temp strips are not helpful...and i am not quite sure how to use them appropriately.

where can i buy the digital thermometer with thermistor?