Soon to Be Lever Lover

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thomasben

#1: Post by thomasben »

Been pulling shots on a cheap little Breville Barista Express now for a few years learning some of the ins and outs of espresso. Recently started using a popper to roast my own beans from sweet Maria's and my obsession has gone to the next level! I'm ready to upgrade to a lever style machine and want some advice regarding where to start! I've looked at a few online and read things here and there but haven't got much feedback on various brands and models. I know a quality grinder is a MUST and i think I'll be going with the LIDO E by Orphan Espresso. A lot of research has be sold on that particular model!

I'm only barely familiar with two machines the La Pavoni Europiccola and the Olympia Cremina. I see those two a lot and they seem to differ in price drastically depending on the year. I would like to keep the cost for the machine under a thousand if I could. If anyone has any input on which models they think I would be happy with and why that'd be a huge help! Looking to be a regular around here so thank you for the responses in advance. Cheers!

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

If you don't need steam and only make espresso, also consider a Arrarex VAM \ Caravel.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

thomasben (original poster)

#3: Post by thomasben (original poster) »

Steamer is essential

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

IMHO, for that price, and with the need to steam, you'll have to decide between trade-offs.

If you're handy and a tinkerer by nature, your best choice would be to refurb a vintage machine, if you can find one at a good price (also meaning the cost of replacement parts won't be crazy). Done right, arguably that will give you the best outcome, especially if you have the option to plumb it in. The cost of your own labor not included, you could probably do OK within your budget.

If you want new, a Cremina will be way over your budget. There are a few boiler-fed lever machines like Ponte Vecchios and Pavonis, and it's possible to get good espresso out of them with a fair amount of study and practice (temperature control is usually the challenge with these machines). Or you could get an espresso-only machine and an separate milk steamer. If you can hold your horses, the Cafelat lever machine described in this thread could well be worth waiting for, especially if Paul Pratt can sell it for $300 or less. Arguably the best pure manual lever machine is the Strietman, but it's above your budget, and frankly you'd do better putting that money into a better grinder than the Lido E -- although I have a Lido 3 and think it's fine; I use it for pourover and press pot brewing.

Just some ideas.
- John

LMWDP # 577

jone9081

#5: Post by jone9081 »

For that budget with steam it sounds like the La Pavoni Europiccola is likely the front-runner.
LMWDP #542

thomasben (original poster)

#6: Post by thomasben (original poster) »

People say the Pavoni has some issues with temperature. As in to hot or what?

MB

#7: Post by MB replying to thomasben »

Depending on which generation, it can be like catching a runaway train. If you do it just right and pull at the correct temperature as is passes, you can get a beautiful ride. Without temperature tracking, I was more likely to get run over.

I added a simple digital thermometer as seen here Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola and was able to get consistently nice shots.
LMWDP #472

dilin

#8: Post by dilin »

I have a restored first-gen LP, and once you get the routine and the *feelz* of the machine, it is simply a matter of adjusting half-pumps.

redbone

#9: Post by redbone »

thomasben wrote:Steamer is essential
You can always get either a separate steamer or frothier for under $100.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

You can also get a restored or mint condition first generation La Pavoni Europiccola for well within your budget. Those first models had high build quality, were the most temperature stable and were the underlying machine for the first generation Cremina. Boiler size is limited, though. How many people do you serve in a session, and how many of those are milk drinks? Another option is a used/good condition Elektra Microcasa a Leva.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!