So I bought me a Cremina.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sorrentinacoffee

#1: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

So I finally did it. Most (all?) Lever aficionados have lusted for a Cremina at one point or another. To date I have not succumbed, contenting myself with less expensive domestic options: Caravel, Ponte Vecchio, Pavoni, Sama and so on, and on. Then I found a rare Olympia Club machine in Italy last year- in perfect condition- I grabbed it and put it that with the others 'awaiting restoration' (Asbestos removal)... but still no Cremina. Now my Italian seller had a vintage Cremina and I couldn't resist. Apparently it is in the air about now on it's way to Australia and a new home.

According to the reliable seller it shows few signs of use, the machine has been partially restored, with new seals and a descale and is in working order. We shall see- but my hopes are high. Still Asbestos must be dealt with unfortunately- so I will do the Club and the Cremina at the same time... I am figuring this is a very early model by the badge (the best Cremina badge? ), asbestos and look- can anyone roughly guess the year from these images? Also does that red wiring look original? Better pictures after I get it....

i really can't wait to try it out!

grog

#2: Post by grog »

The straight-on steam knob puts it in the first few years of production, like 1967-1970 probably. I wish Francesco had a detailed chronology of these machines on his site as he does for others.
LMWDP #514

grog

#3: Post by grog »

Also that asbestos looks pristine in the photos, so if it turns out to be the case upon receiving the machine, you could always leave it in place.
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Congratulations, Jack! It's great to scratch the Cremina itch and see what others are appreciating for yourself. Agreed on the asbestos. If it's intact you could leave it alone. The year of manufacture will be the first two numbers on the serial tag. I really like mine and use it regularly, but I prefer shot quality on my commercial lever with a PID.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TheJavaCup77

#5: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Isn't asbestos a very dangerous health hazard??
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

sorrentinacoffee (original poster)

#6: Post by sorrentinacoffee (original poster) »

yes- asbestos fibers breathed in can cause Mesothelioma Cancer in the lungs which is very, very bad. With asbestos I really think better safe than sorry. Although the condition on this boiler looks perfect- I am tempted to safely remove it anyhow- though I will probably try the machine out first. I also watched on OE's video series where Doug says how smelly it can be. Also I just think it shouldn't be there- someone has to remove it sometime and seeing as I will have two to do- the Club and the Cremina I may as well be the one to sort it out. Also the machine has been restored but I am not sure if the boiler has been inspected inside. I have a spare cremina boiler seal.

I understand the more modern machine are better- but is there much difference in the final product? And are there any advantages to the older model?

Finally the lack of a Pressure Gauge bothers me slightly. I like pressure gauges on my machines... being able to see just where the boiler is at. Has anyone simply had one fitted to the boiler cap?

forbeskm

#7: Post by forbeskm »

Asbestos is overblown but you should not be intentionally disturbing it. On a boiler its not a big deal. That looks in really pristine condition the insulation, its not flaking, or anything. It is the people who worked in clouds of it all the time that had the problems, they used to have clouds floating in the USG ceiling tile plant where I grew up, they had problems. That said, you don't make it airborne unless you are an idiot. Spray adhesive seals up damage asbestos ductwork nicely, followed by tape and some more spray adhesive (that's what my asbestos abatement company did for my ducts).

That is a nice looking Cremina.

flathead1

#8: Post by flathead1 »

WRT the pressure gauge, yes there a boiler caps with gauges attached but I make do with a gauge on a piece of rubber hose slipped over the steam wand. It's just on there long enough to set the pstat and maybe check it once and a while.
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152

grog

#9: Post by grog »

Jack, I've never used a new Cremina so I can't help much there (I think there are some active posters who have both older and newer models in rotation, maybe they can chime in).

Richard Penney has made adapters for mounting a gauge in place of the boiler cap. I believe they have been sold most recently through the CoffeeBOS shop on Etsy.
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

This is written for others less experienced than Jack. Although I personally prefer having a pressure gauge I haven't found it difficult to tune the Cremina's pressure with a steam wand gauge. I tune it to below the temperature wanted for most shots so a few half pumps will get me to brew temp.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!