Single Shot Spout for La Pavoni Portafilters

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Nonprophet

#1: Post by Nonprophet »

I tried to add a comment to this existing thread "New" La Pavoni Pro owner (got to the last page to see the spout I'm talking about) but the forum software wouldn't let me.

I'm finally get some really nice, consistent shots with my LP Romantica. Still researching various methods, tips, etc, and I just came across the above thread. I usually only pull double shot for myself, so I removed the double spout and just pull shots without it. I'm wondering then what, if any, difference it makes to use no spout vs. a single shot spout?

Thanks!
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Brett,

I don't think it makes any difference.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
hankbates

#3: Post by hankbates »

About a year ago I found in my local hardware store, for around $3 in a "lamp parts" bin, described as a 3/8 x 1/8 coupling, the item shown in the following pix. The 3/8 female thread fits perfectly on my OEM portafilter, and I have also put one on my son's Pasquini Livia 90 PF.

It adds virtually nothing to the height of the PF, and to make it a little cleaner, I have removed the 1/8 threads with a drill, and inserted an o-ring between it and the pf.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

insatiableOne

#4: Post by insatiableOne »

Just make it a bottomless and get it over with, you will be glad you did. One of the first things I did to mine. How else are you going to know if you are pulling quality shots instead of spritzers, or not forming a good cone??

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz4/ ... bmf7t3.jpg

csepulv

#5: Post by csepulv replying to insatiableOne »

Given Cafelat now offers a bottomless portafilter, that might be a way to go instead of cutting it yourself. I agree that a bottomless is valuable to have, but I've cut my own (before the Cafelat) and it can be tricky to make it clean, level and even (depending on your available tools/equipment).

If you are inclined to DIY, great. But I figured I'd mention the Cafelat option as it is a really nice (and versatile) portafilter.
Chris

rpavlis

#6: Post by rpavlis »

I recently ordered the now available convertible 49mm La Pavoni portafilter. There is a similar one produced by another group that is bottomless only. These options have only been available recently.

I have never given even a passing thought to cutting up my ordinary portafilters because I tend to prefer tall narrow cups, some of which are substantially less than 49mm across! In a sense a bottomless (or naked) portafilter is a test device. Once you have chopped a portafilter it is an irreversible operation. I normally use a spout on my La Pavoni portafilters that I made that has a thermometer well to monitor the temperature profile of shots when I want to do so.

One really needs the option of naked or clad, and the convertible one gives just that option.