"Singing" La Pavoni

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Maxwell Mooney

#1: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

So I discovered that after boiler temperature stabilizes on my LP Europiccola, it begins to "sing". It's pretty cool! It sings in an F!

I was curious if anybody else's Pavoni emits a gentle pitch that is enjoyable to listen to (I've actually used it as a base to play through a song in F, pretty funny).

Do any other levers sing?
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

Maxwell,

That is cool! I really like the gentle hissing of my '76 Pavoni. I never really thought of it as a tone, but you know what? Mine emits an F as well. I got out my guitar to see and I would have bet a bunch of money that my little gal sings in a different key than yours, but I would have lost that bet. F it is. My manometer was reading exactly .75 bar.

Maybe Ray can play a tune with his adjustable pressure valve!

Pete
LMWDP #484

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

I think that this occurs because the natural frequency of the "bell" shaped cup surrounding the pressure release valve seems to have natural frequency very near F if you tap it.

This is interesting. I wonder if there be enough variation in manufacture to make different ones have significantly different natural pitches.

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:
Maxwell Mooney wrote: ... after boiler temperature stabilizes on my LP Europiccola, it begins to "sing".
---
Do any other levers sing?
Yes, my Europiccola (La Pavoni 'Shirley' / AR made in the late 60's) also starts to sing once stable.

But I have found (just by chance) that it will only sing if it is at 14 psi (give or take some) ie: at ~ 1.0 bar pressure. At higher pressures it will hiss furiously but won't let out a note.

As to the pitch it sings in, not a clue. =-/

Cheers,

CIV