Scapolla Eterna 1 Group Lever Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Mouldy

#1: Post by Mouldy »

I recently picked up a 1967 era Scapolla 'Eterna' single group lever machine as somewhat of a side purchase when I was buying my first lever machine (Faema Lambro). Unlike the Lambro the Eterna hasn't been touched since being removed from use from a bar in Italy, so I'm contemplating how to embark on giving it a rebirth.

There appears to be very little to almost no information on the Eterna, other than two HB threads;
1956 Eterna 3grp restoration, and Eterna Lever Redesign Help.

Is anyone aware of parts compatibility with other levers or any leads that may help with spares supplies for this old girl?

The (poor) photo below will give an idea of what she looks like.

Mouldy (original poster)

#2: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

A few more photos of the Eterna posted below. As I mentioned, it is untouched since being removed from service in Italy.

The date stamp on the boiler can be just made out in the photo below, right side, 1967.

I mentioned I bought the Eterna at the time I bought the Faema Lambro, so a couple of pics of the Lambro below.

PaulTheRoaster

#3: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

On my later Eterna, the element is Pavoni/Marzocco-style and uses those gaskets, and the valve seals weren't exactly the same as Gaggia seals, but were close enough to work perfectly well (Gaggia's are a little thicker, but they squeeze into the valve seat perfectly). Our machines have the same manual boiler fill valve lever and the steam/water valve bodies look the same. Also the mercury p-stat. There should be a plastic cover for it, but then you will miss the pretty light show.

You might save some trouble and call/email Michael Teahan at Espresso Resource with valve seal measurements. I'm not sure *which* Gaggia valve my seals came from.

I'd love to see more pictures of your group with the bonnet off. Make sure you use a tube wrench on the fittings, especially if it has the same finicky ferrules as mine does.

Edit: I didn't see you are in France; someone nearer than California probably stocks those seals. Bon courage!

zubinpatrick

#4: Post by zubinpatrick »

fwiw who knows when it was last serviced? Have you tried plugging it in and see how it runs? I know many here are tinkerers, but maybe the seals are all good and instead of messing with it you can use it to make espresso. I mention this only because sometimes we make things more complicated than they are. The machine could have been retired for many reasons, one loose electrical connection/etc... is all it takes.

Mouldy (original poster)

#5: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't yet tried plugging in and running, but I will do to try and see how/if it runs.

Some more pics below with the panels off, and also of the bottom of the group. I know close to nothing about lever machines, so I don't even where to start on finding a shower screen that will suit (assuming it needs one), let alone how it attaches (see bottom photo)?

All I do know is that I'm really keen to try and get her cleaned up and fully functional (if she's not already).

Mouldy (original poster)

#6: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

By the way, has anyone ever seen such a large boiler on any single group machine? The one on this Eterna would have to be close to the size of the 13L unit in my two group Elektra Classic Barlume.

I have started to disassemble for a cleanup. Will post more pics soon.

Paul_Pratt

#7: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Such a lovely machine. It's truly magical when you find a machine like that, which has not been worked on since it was built.

The boiler does look a bit big, the element looks quite standard.

Do you have the plastic piece for the top?

Paul

Mouldy (original poster)

#8: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

Does anyone have any recommendations on a food safe gasket material I could use in order to make a new gasket for the boiler end plate to boiler flanged connection?

I'm guessing the old type is some type of compressed fibre / asbestos which will be destroyed when I remove it.

I've seen some references to FDA silicone rubber, RTV silicone, or teflon, but am struggling to find where I can buy this in France / Europe. I've also seen some suggest that something like a Loctite 518 would also work, but not sure if anyone has used this and found it successful, as I found this on the Loctite tech spec;

"NSF International Certified to ANSI/NSF Standard 61 for use in commercial and residential potable water systems not exceeding 82°C. Note: This is a regional approval."

KurtAugust

#9: Post by KurtAugust »

How does the original gasket look like? Any pictures?
LMWDP #325

Mouldy (original poster)

#10: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

I don't have a photo handy of the gasket itself; however you can see the boiler in the photo below and the gasket fits on the flange you can see with the bolt holes.

The old gasket was a few millimeters thick and made of some compressed fibre material, and likely original from 1967.