SAMA/Spring Lever control question

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

So, completely in love with a comfortable with my SAMA, it occurs to me that maybe I am doing something wrong, and that I might love her even better if I fixed this. But I'm not sure.

I pull the lever down for the pre-infusion; count off 10 seconds; let it rise a bit and then ...
After the second and the third pull down, I have been controlling the rise of the lever. HA.
I'll bet I'm supposed to let the spring do that job, right?

I'm guessing I can tighten up my grind even more when I stop reducing the pressure by holding onto and slowing the rise of the lever?

What say you?

Susan

jamoke

#2: Post by jamoke »

Susan-

You probably could stand to tighten the grind a bit, just as I have been working in from the other direction. It takes me about 1-1/2 pulls of pre-infusion before a drop or two of espresso appear. Part of that "problem," I think, is the nature of the Sama: very low displacement piston stroke combined with a deep filter basket.

By the way, I've seen some of your photos, and, but for the color, our machines seem identical, right down to that funky, but apparently robust, old pressurestat.
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122
Huky #297

SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Cool, Ed, thanks.
I am going to get up outta this chair and go play with it a bit.
This is my second SAMA; my first one (also red, which is probably why I bought it in the first place) never got used and I sold it after doing a replacement of the gaskets in the piston. I love this one so much I've been trying (unsuccessfully to date) to talk the buyer into selling the first one back to me. More likely I will just talk him through getting it running....

P.S. It's interesting that you say this pressurestat is "old but funky". It's the only one I've seen and I thought it was quite sturdy and very easy to deal with....but that's what a lack of experience will do to you....

Susan