Replace SAMA SOPAC pressurestat with CEME and the CEME melted

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

So I have another SAMA in the house and today I decided to lower her pressure a bit. I was surprised at the configuration underneath this one:

compared to my other one:

It is quite different from my other, and the pressurestat has a name that I can't seem to find any reference to when I use my usual best friend Google. It says "SOPAC" on it. Does anyone know anything about it?

It certainly looks simple
Susan

SJM (original poster)

#2: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Yup....talkin' to myself, but I just found a thread (of course here on H-B) that refers to this pstat

Advice on Sama Lusso (Club?) pressure

And like the OP I have the pstat which only operates above 1.5 bar, and is adjusted to its lowest possible setting, so....time for a new pstat.

Susan

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#3: Post by orphanespresso »

Hi Susan.....you Goggled correctly about the Sopac. The same design can be found today in the Jaeger pstat but with he same 1.5 bar setting unfortunately. If you try to swap out this Sopac to something else, the best fit is the CEME since the MATER has the microswitch part sticking out the side and is impossible to install without taking the boiler off the base. The CEME is cylindrical and comes in the 1/4 thread that you need for the SAMA. You might have to custom bend a wrench to install it, but that is a detail....often you can put some teflon thread goop on the thread and install it by hand and it will be tight enough. Good luck.....
Doug

SJM (original poster)

#4: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thanks Doug.

My "other" SAMA is in Seattle right now with Joe (Good Coffee Company), and I will see if he has a CEME in stock that he can send to me when he ships her back tomorrow.

I do have an extra Mater that I had ordered for that one, but will source a CEME based on your excellent information.

Susan

SJM (original poster)

#5: Post by SJM (original poster) »

I certainly am coming up empty looking for a C.E.M.E.
Are they missing in action?

Susan

onthego

#6: Post by onthego replying to SJM »

Stefano has one on this page http://www.espressocare.com/products/ ... ad/10/P70
Not sure it is the one you are looking for.

SJM (original poster)

#7: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Excelllent.
I think that will do the job.

I want to set my pressure at about .9 bar

Susan

SJM (original poster)

#8: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Just ordered the C.E.M.E pressuresat from Stefano's.
Thanks for all your help.

One last point that might help someone else in the future. SAMAs come with two different bases. The ones in my pictures probably don't make that clear, and honestly I didn't realize it until Joe (Good Coffee Company) pointed out to me that the difference in what pstats I can use in the two machines is because of the difference in the depth of the base.

beer&mathematics

#9: Post by beer&mathematics »

Did you get that beautiful red one from the bay a few weeks ago???
LMWDP #431

SJM (original poster)

#10: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Not that one, but I do have two red ones....:-))