SAMA Export Questions

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Zlstone

#1: Post by Zlstone »

Let me begin by saying that I do not know much about the espresso machine world. I enjoy the end result but I am not schooled in the methods of creating the good stuff. With that being said, my father gave me his SAMA Export that he has had for many years. After doing some research I am not sure if I have the time to properly appreciate this machine (I have 3 small children and 2 jobs). So that brings me here, to the world of experts. I have a few questions that I am hoping that some of you can answer for me.

This machine has been unused for probably 20 years. So after a little research I decided I would just test it out. I put water in it, turned it on, tested the steam, pulled the lever, and everything seemed to work fine. The water that came out into my cup did have some particles in it so I am sure it needs to be cleaned. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as how I would go about cleaning this beauty? I read that it might be a good idea to replace some seals and gaskets, any thoughts on that?

If I am able to clean the machine and confirm it is working properly I may consider selling it. It seems that this place would be the best place to sell it but again I don't know much about the world of espresso machines. Are there any other places that I should consider using to sell the machine. I am not a big fan of Ebay as I believe there are quite a few scammers out there.

Please let me know if this post is in the wrong place.

Thanks for your time.

Zak

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

I would just clean it by filling it, gently inverting it back and forth a few times, then pouring it out. Pour it into a white bowl in the sink and check for particles. When it seems very clean, try heating it again.

One thing to watch out for is that the pressurestat can clog with scale or dirt if there is a lot. Then the machine might build up too much pressure - there is a brass pressure relief valve on top. Test pulling up the pin on that with a pliers WHEN THE MACHINE IS COLD to make sure it is not sealed shut. If you open it when hot use extreme caution as it lets out a jet of steam.

If you are thinking about selling it I would not do more than clean it with water. The new owner will know how much restoration they want to do.

I used an Export every day when I had my two small kids, and never felt like it claimed more time than it was worth, given how great the espresso is.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Advertisement
Zlstone (original poster)

#3: Post by Zlstone (original poster) »

Thanks PC.

It took me about a dozen times but I think she is pretty clean. I think I will give it a shot. :D Any secrets you can share with a first timer?

Zlstone (original poster)

#4: Post by Zlstone (original poster) »

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

Wow, that's a great looking machine with family history to boot! You'll need a good, espresso grade grinder and some quality beans.
Here's a thread about pulling shots on the Export machines:
Trouble dialing in Ponte Vecchio Lusso

Hopefully you'll have many years of enjoyment with that machine. They are quite capable.
(I've been looking for one for a few years. Someday! Someday I hope to join the Export club too.)
LMWDP #445

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

The machine is an heirloom - worth keeping if you have any interest in espresso. It can easily make espresso on par with machines costing thousands of dollars.

You need a decent grinder - any well-functioning vintage hand grinder, or most of the newer hand grinders will work. I don't know about electric grinders, but most burr grinders will do the job to get you started I guess. A blade grinder will not. You can even start with pre-ground Illy or from a local roaster. Kept in the freezer it will stay ok for a couple of days (much less than ideal though).

1. Get the machine up to temp (the light should turn off).
2. Don't wait too long after that or it will start to get too hot (after say 30 minutes).
3. Fill the double basket to about 2mm below the rim after tamping (if this is too full to lock in the pf, reduce it a little - it varies depending on the machine).
4. Lock in the PF, pull down the lever in a steady, not too fast way, and hold it down about ten seconds.
5. Let the lever rise in a controlled way - if you have the correct grind the pressure will allow the lever to rise slowly. If it is too fine it will stop - too coarse it will jump up. BE CAREFUL, THE SPRING IS STRONG, SO DON*T LET THE LEVER GO FREE!
6. You'll get about 15 ml of coffee from a single lever pull. I usually take 2 pulls.
7. There are a lot of nuances about this - try it out and get back to us and we'll discuss it more.

Happy pulls!
PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."