Sama Export - how to set the pressurestat without gauge

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#1: Post by beer&mathematics »

I've used my machine for about a year and my milk steaming has always sucked. Now, I don't practice much since I'll make about 4 cappas in a month (or less) so I adjusted the Pstat blind to be very low. From my limited experience, the Export group runs really hot so I think I've set he Pstat really low. So low that the milk steaming attempts are always laughable (aside--when I owned my first machine, Saeco Via Venezia with a real wand installed, I had no problems producing perfect microfoam). I think it is simply not giving me enough power, but after re-watching OE's video on the Sama Export, I think the machine is capable of adequate steaming. I checked OE's site and they no longer seem to have the pressure gauges that are adapted to fit the steam wand.

So, my question is, how do I set the pstat blind so that I get adequate steam and don't burn the coffee?
LMWDP #431

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

PM me and I will send you mine to use and return.
Susan

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#3: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Thanks Susan, sent you a PM. I'll try to fix the problem with the advice of the forum first but if that fails I'll certainly take you up on your generous offer.

Okay, so I gave it one full revolution to the right which clearly increased the steam pressure. I can now hear the safety valve open every 10-30 seconds for a quick 'pfft.' As for the steaming, it seemed more powerful but I didn't have any milk on hand and I only tried it with some soy milk I had (Silk original if that matters to anyone). Results seemed better than my previous attempts with 1% lactaid so that's a positive. I'll stop by the store tonight and buy some milk to test.

I pulled two shots just for fun and the lever for the first time acted like I thought it should act. After pulling it down for a 10sec preinfusion, and releasing it, it caught immediately. Usually, it catches more than half-way up. This seems like a good sign and the coffee didn't taste burnt. Although I did take out the basket and rinse it with cold water before dosing and I pulled the shot into room temperature cups.

I certainly broke the cardinal rule of HB of only changing one variable at a time, but I seem to be moving in the right direction. I'm sort of all over the place so sorry about that!
LMWDP #431

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I read about a "poor man's" way of checking the steam pressure - buy a length of brake hose, two hose clamps, and a tire gauge. Clamp the tire gauge onto the steam arm and voila, instant boiler pressure reading.

Disclaimer: Hot water and steam can be dangerous, be careful! Verify the hose can handle the temperature and pressure.
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

That sounds fun but a bit dangerous. If there are no heuristic non-gauge methods for setting the pressurestat, then I'll definitely borrow Susan's.

Is setting it to 1bar the universal setting?
LMWDP #431

sorrentinacoffee

#6: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

I would say the setting can be anywhere between 0.9 and 1.1- according to preference. Steam power will be quite a lot less at 0.9 (slow) than at 1.1 (ample) and below 0.9 steam power will not be sufficient.

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

If you have steam escaping from the safety valve regularly it's set too high. Back off on the pstat at least until steam no longer is coming from the pstat.

I have steamed thousands of liters of milk with the Export, and never needed it set that high. The safety valve probably releases at 1.5 bar or more!

I usually work from the bottom up, that is, if it is set too low for good steaming, I go up by 1/4 turns until it steams properly. Sorrentina has a lot of direct readings, so the 0.9-1.1 range is probably accurate. On my Sama Lusso, I get plenty of steam at 0.8 bar, but not much below that.

I drilled a small hole in the bottom plate to allow access to the pstat screw without removing the plate every time. It works with the PV Export, but not sure if it will work with your Sama.

ALSO, use a needle to clean the three holes in the steam tip. They build up a lot of gunk, and can eventually clog completely. Once clean, the change in steaming function might surprise you.

Also correct, when the pstat is too low, the group does not fill with water as easily, so as you noted, the lever "catches" sooner at higher boiler pressure.

Although the Export is a great machine, it is a fine balance between having enough pressure for very fast steaming versus having the boiler a little too hot for brewing. All pressurized home levers are subject to this tradeoff, except the Lusso, whose superior design allows the group to stay cooler. If you really like the espresso from the Export I can recommend the Lusso as a step up in terms of ease of use.

CHeers
Pc
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#8: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Thanks for the great advice Jack(s).
peacecup wrote: If you have steam escaping from the safety valve regularly it's set too high. Back off on the pstat at least until steam no longer is coming from the pstat.
I bought whole milk last night and made some beautiful microfoam for the first time on my Export on the first try. So I'm guessing the pstat was set too low. I'll back off a bit since it does do a very slight 'hss' every 9 seconds to release some pressure.
peacecup wrote: I drilled a small hole in the bottom plate to allow access to the pstat screw without removing the plate every time. It works with the PV Export, but not sure if it will work with your Sama.
The last owner who restored it put the pstat on the same side as the power chord :roll: So, I'd have to re-arrange it so that it faces the other side to drill a hole. Sounds too much trouble as hopefully I can find a good enough setting and let it be.
peacecup wrote: ALSO, use a needle to clean the three holes in the steam tip. They build up a lot of gunk, and can eventually clog completely. Once clean, the change in steaming function might surprise you.
Totally didn't think about that since I don't steam much and always purge and clean it like crazy. But you never know!
peacecup wrote: If you really like the espresso from the Export I can recommend the Lusso as a step up in terms of ease of use.

CHeers
Pc
I am waiting patiently for Brandon (pacificmanitou) to upgrade to a commercial lever so I can buy his Lusso off him 8)
LMWDP #431

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

Is there any possibility that you are overfilling the boiler?
I had an issue with my safety valve when I first got this SAMA, and it turned out that I was not watching the sight glass and was putting too much water into her....

Just a small thought...

Susan

#10: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Susan, I have done that many times in the past but now I definitely leave a 1/4 in from filling the sight glass (still lots more water that can be added).

Problem is fixed just by blindingly adjusting the pstat following Jacks advise. No more pfff sounds and great steaming.

Quick iPhone photo of second attempt:

Time to rewatch Lem's advice and practice.
LMWDP #431