Routine Elektra Microcasa a Leva group servicing

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rpavlis

#1: Post by rpavlis »

I find it very important to service groups frequently. I "do" the MCAL if (a) pulling the handle is not absolutely smooth all the way, (b) the resistance to pulling the handle seems to have increased since the last servicing, and (c) more than two months have passed since the last service.

Here is my procedure, I leave the group attached to the machine whilst doing the following:

1. Remove the two screws that hold the piston, spring, and lever assembly in the group. Put the screws in a small bowl.

2. Pull the piston up and out of the group. Unscrew the plastic or wood handle from the end of the handle and put in a safe place where it will not roll of a table and get damaged.

3. Put the piston assembly in hot soapy water. Some would say use special espresso machine detergent, but regular detergent is probably better because it seems somewhat more aggressive. Wash very thoroughly. Rinse several times with clean tap water. This needs to be a very thorough rinse. Dry with a clean towel. Set aside.

4. Remove dispersion screen and gasket from bottom of group. It is a press fit. I use a large diameter wooden dowel. Press gently. There may be quite a bit of resistance, or it may simply fall out. Clean the screen and gasket very very thoroughly. Set aside.

5. Place something like a soup bowl under the group on the machine. Wash the bore with hot soapy water. Be very thorough again. I use a regular wash cloth. Rinse well and dry. You want it to be left spotless. Examine the bore carefully for evidence of pitting and defects. If you find pitting begin worrying about it a lot! Consider using better water. (The last time I did this I polished the inside of the bore with water based metal polish and followed that by another soapy water wash, and another thorough rinse.)

6. Assemble everything again. Put the piston assembly on first. Be careful not to damage the seals when inserting them into the bore. Replace the wooden or plastic handle. Push the dispersion screen into place.

7. Examine the rest of the machine. Be sure to look into the boiler, the small diameter of the cap makes this difficult.

If you have water with substantial ion concentrations, you should do this more often than every two months, I suspect. Any additions or comments?

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Thanks for the Robert! As a new MCAL owner your recent posts have been a fantastic help as I try and figure out the best ways to take care of my baby.
LMWDP #435